1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2006 A3 Tdi Fan problem

Dazza0685 Jul 4, 2012

1. Dazza0685

Dazza0685 Member VCDS Map User

Hi Guys.

recently i have noticed my fan has been running after the engine has been stopped.. sometimes it will start when the car hasn't been driven that day and is parked up and locked. It was intermittent to start with but is now getting more common and today it did it whilst i was at work and flattened the battery!

I have done a scan with VCDS and it brings up fault code 18009 - Implausable signal to relay j317. Position 30.

Im not really sure what this means or how to go about fixing it but obviously it needs fixing asap so if anybody can help i'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

2. Lewis90

Lewis90 Member

mine does this when ive had the air con on. but not when i havent

3. J.R.

J.R. "Started From The Bottom" VCDS Map User

Common fault for your reg. you will have to change the whole unit.

4. audicruiser

audicruiser Audi Heaven

As above, around £300... Do a search as its a common fault.

5. Dazza0685

Ok thanks for the reply's. I did do a search but it showed a few possible issues so i thought with the fault code it could be narrowed down.
    Any ideas where the best place to get a replacement from? Or is it a case of audi only?

Thanks

6. J.R.

J.R. "Started From The Bottom" VCDS Map User

Audi only really ....as the new units have been modified to correct this problem.

7. PH1L

PH1L Gievf Buckets

they happen around the 40-50k mark its a capacitor in the fan blade that messes up i saw repair kits a while back on ebay if you get a used set off of ebay fro around 50 quid just get them off of a facelift unit to get the modified variant

8. Dazza0685

9. mike foster

mike foster Fossie VCDS Map User

Nice find !

Looks like it's what you need and as far as I know gsf are a reputable outfit !

10. BBlackburn

BBlackburn Member

I have a similar problem although mine has never flattened the battery just run after the engine is off for a while sometimes but they always go off eventually I also have the EML on which I think is related but that also goes on and off sometimes very strange.