RNS-E again!

villageidiot

Reaction score
Hi, I have recently bought an A3 2005 model and the RNS-E unit will not read the disc, the car did not come with the original disc so I bought a copy one of Ebay which was then exchanged for another one which also did not read . Is there any way of checking weather the fault is with the disc or the unit? If it is the unit what are the options ? replace or repair ? who repairs ? any recommendations?

Two possibilities. The copy discs are notorious for giving read-problems. See if someone will lend you a genuine Audi disc, and at least that will confirm that your DVD reader hardware is working. The other possibility is that the DVD reader itself is faulty or perhaps the read-head is dirty. It is easy to clean the read-head, but if the reader unit is faulty it can be expensive to have it replaced. There are lots of posts on this forum covering RNS-E problems, so do a search. Good luck.

Do these units only play sat nav discs or can I check it buy playing any DVD ?

I believe these units will play CD/DVD for music etc. BUT, the sat nav disks are dual-layer DVD's, which are far harder to read by the laser head. They are dual-layer due to the immense amount of data required to supply map information over several countries. Anyway, try a music disk and see what happens. If it does play, then at least the DVD reader is working up to a point.

Ok, just tried a music cd and it plays perfect, so looks like I will need to try a genuine Audi satnav disc, so can I get any year of disc as long as its for a RNS-E unit?

If you have the radio removal keys, take the unit out and clean the laser, they get covered in crud over the years and no matter if you get a copy or genuine nav DVD it wont read the disc.