why is my DIS doing what its doing

Tom_B

Reaction score
On my 2.5 v6 the dis just looked a bit worn out and missed pixels from the top down in a kind of fadey outey sort of way. My Lad's 1.8T did the same thing.

However - on dearly beloved SE the DIS seems to have horizontal lines that dont light up and then soemtimes vertical lines that dont light up. Bizarrely yesterday when I chugged up and down the rainy M1 to Milton Keynes it all lit up perfectly.

What causes the DIS to fail and what could be happening on mine that the faiiure is inconsistent?

Its a known issue on most dis's from the 90s to around 2001 I think.
The contacts break up in the ribbon cable from the PCB to the screen it self.

The only way to fix it is to replace the screen.

Buy one off ebay (Not the chinese cheap version) for about £50, unsolder the old and solder the new in. Done. :)

You need a thin soldering iron nib.

or I can do it for you.

Mines temperature related. Some days its completely illegible, other days you car more or less work out what its saying with just the odd line missing.

I got a new screen off ebay cost around £45, bit of a fiddly job but well worth the effort.

Mines temperature related. Some days its completely illegible, other days you car more or less work out what its saying with just the odd line missing.

Mine too. On a long journey or hot day the display is worse.

Heat makes a massive difference.

Bring on the ICE!!

I bought a cheap one from China for £35 and its still going strong 2 years on and looks fine. I used lots of flux when I solderedt to keep any bridges at bay. Use a heat gun to de solder the old unit.