2.0T S Line Special Edition 2006, is it worth me doing these modifications?

Nozrul Islam

Reaction score
Hello All,

I've owned this car for couple years now with all standard except I recently got the the interior trims carbon dipped.
I cover around 2k miles a year however I'm just wondering is it worth my while considering the following modifications? Would be mainly for economical reasons and off course performance / sound as well but I'm no boy racer!

1. Remap
2. Cat back exhaust system (looking at Milltek) but heard for that sort of money can get a more better system if I go down the custom route.
3. Performance Air filter

Would appreciate any advice and more particularly from someone who's done this on their car with the same model?

Many thanks

Nozrul

2.0 T S Line Special Edition 220BHP, I believe it's the DTM version but without the DTM bumpers .

I've put a pipercross filter in mine, too be honest I haven't noticed much difference, I'm also considering a remap.
:)

Thanks David, been reading up on the Performance Air filter route and from what I can gather is pretty much what you saying and apparently it's better just to replace with an OEM filter annually.

I'd say it's more down to if you think if it's worth it mate rather than us lot, from a performance point then yes the above are worth doing but are they to you?

Also keep in mind depending on the age and wear and tear of the car the car may need additional parts doing, clutch/dmf, cam follower DV etc, the above mods will high light any potential running issues.

Thanks Dani, I have a budget of £1200.00 but not looking to spend on additional extras, cars done 55K, regularly serviced but if it means having to fork out extra cash in the future as a result of the mod then perhaps I'll hold back on the remap. But as for the exhaust - that should be fine, shouldn't it?

Exhaust and air filter would be fine. It's the remap on the Quattro tfsi that can kill the clutch a from what I've seen and been told.

Regarding the air filter, do what I've done in my thread, seemed to add some form or performance increase but also added a deeper growl to the intake noise.

Thanks will do, mine is not a Quattro model.

Sorry pal, please can I have the link to your thread

Last edited:
Mines a non Quattro also.

Wouldn't mind the link to that thread also.

ah yes, i remember now from an earlier thread david, although the SE is not the same model as the special edition, the special eds get there model name shortened to SE which is not really correct and a such a lot of owners think that because they have an SE it's special edition when its not and vice versa if you get my drift.
only the special editions (mk1 & mk2) with the tfsi 2.0tfsi 220bul engine have the WUA code as they made at the RS factory along with the DTM's and S4's ,

ah yes, i remember now from an earlier thread david, although the SE is not the same model as the special edition, the special eds get there model name shortened to SE which is not really correct and a such a lot of owners think that because they have an SE it's special edition when its not and vice versa if you get my drift.
only the special editions (mk1 & mk2) with the tfsi 2.0tfsi 220bul engine have the WUA code as they made at the RS factory along with the DTM's and S4's ,
Sorry I was being lazy typing SE.
Mines all correct except for the ****** engine as mentioned before.

no probs david, i was just having an anorak moment again on the special edition subject, just cant control myself sometimes...lol

Reactions: David Withers
Just checked mine, definitely Special Edition then.... Chassis no. WUAZZZ8.... has the twin exhaust pipes in black, front drilled brake discs!
Thank God for that, because for a second I thought it weren't a Special Edition after reading your posts above.

Reactions: David Withers
black headlining, and ronal dtm rims if a mk1 etc.
remap to stage 1 is a good idea, and you'll see a nice increase without spending too much money, anymore than stage 1 with a standard clutch that's done 50k plus miles and you will fry it so unless you really want more than 250-260 bhp and increased torqued stick with stage 1 save spending more pennies.
unless the exhaust is in need of replacement I would not bother messing about with it, maybe change the tips to something nicer, air filter is a very questionable area on these cars, personal choice is more of a factor to be honest.
mines done 52k and the exhaust is still fine, I did buy a milltek full system recently but may not bother fitting it now .

Reactions: Nozrul Islam
black headlining, and ronal dtm rims if a mk1 etc.
remap to stage 1 is a good idea, and you'll see a nice increase without spending too much money, anymore than stage 1 with a standard clutch that's done 50k plus miles and you will fry it so unless you really want more than 250-260 bhp and increased torqued stick with stage 1 save spending more pennies.
unless the exhaust is in need of replacement I would not bother messing about with it, maybe change the tips to something nicer, air filter is a very questionable area on these cars, personal choice is more of a factor to be honest.
mines done 52k and the exhaust is still fine, I did buy a milltek full system recently but may not bother fitting it now .

Thank you.

Any idea where I can get the exhaust trims from? I quite like the Milltek GT100 Tips.
Also phoned a few tuning companies AMD, Red dot racing, Sanspeed etc and some say it's worth doing it and some are saying for this particular car just to leave it alone because had it been the standard A4 with 200BHP I'd be getting an increase of 50 -55 HP but as it's been partially mapped by Audi to 220BHP then for the sake of 30-35 HP for the outlay of £400 approx simply isn't viable which off course left me even more confused. Having said that can anyone recommend anyone locally to Romford / London are who's had theirs done and are happy with the results? Where did you get yours done Quattro GMBH?
Thanks

Thank you.

Any idea where I can get the exhaust trims from? I quite like the Milltek GT100 Tips.
Also phoned a few tuning companies AMD, Red dot racing, Sanspeed etc and some say it's worth doing it and some are saying for this particular car just to leave it alone because had it been the standard A4 with 200BHP I'd be getting an increase of 50 -55 HP but as it's been partially mapped by Audi to 220BHP then for the sake of 30-35 HP for the outlay of £400 approx simply isn't viable which off course left me even more confused. Having said that can anyone recommend anyone locally to Romford / London are who's had theirs done and are happy with the results? Where did you get yours done Quattro GMBH?
Thanks
I'm looking at amd also.
I'm in rainham Essex.
I'm pretty sure that mine is 200bhp but as said my engine covers etc etc are all still bul so maybe my electronics are still original.
Amd said the first thing they'd do is to put it on the rolling road and then go from there.
I was worried that being a fwd it would skip about too much after being remapped especially in the wet.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Mines a BUL special edition.

I have cat back milltek res version, and recently added GT100 tips (had jet style ones before) and it does look a lot better at the rear end now.

I also fitted a decat pipe. Does make the engine come alive quite a bit more.

I've just got an uprated panel filter at the moment.

Its got a generic map at the moment so no idea what its running, but its quite nippy (saving up for a hybrid and a proper map)! My standard clutch only randomly slips so itl get replaced soon.

I guess it all depends on weather you think its worth spending the money on it.

Seen some nice tips on the market including the ones that quattroGMBH has but not having a welder has stopped me ordering any.

Why? Just take them down to your local custom exhaust maker.

My GT100 tips I acquired cheap, but were from an s5. Pipes were totally different size. Cost a few quid to have it corrected :)

Thank you.

Thanks

maybe this thread will help you decide which way to go on the remap front.

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...mmorow-may-answer-a-few-questions-too.274224/

hope that help a bit and be sure to read the whole thread to get a better overview from other too.

rob

I think I'll leave the Remap project out for the time being.

As for the exhaust system I quite like these tips http://www.millteksport.com/product.news.read.cfm?articleid=137 however having spoken with milltek today who say theses are not compatible with my system. I then asked if I was to buy their cat back system SSXAU515 can I have the option of having the black GT100 tips and again - NO! Any ideas guys what tips should I be looking at?

I am also contemplating on painting the brake calipers Red - anyone done this and what paint did you use?

Thanks

this any help.
IMG 0950
IMG 0951
IMG 0954
IMG 0955
IMG 0956

Reactions: GDCAUDIA4B7
Yes please, any instructions on how to do it etc. What brand paint? Many thanks

31a4a34afa1c5f7cdb98bc0119e72fe7.jpg

Did mine a while back.
The hubs have been done since also.

Reactions: James.c and Tooty_Fruity
To potentailly confuse things even more :whistle2:
The remap I had done (albeit on a 200bhp A3) has been the best thing (and best value) ever I've done to the car. £290 from R-tech and has transformed the car with torque (as well as horses). It has transformed the car. As mentioned above, stage 1 and your clutch stands a good chance of being fine. Any more, factor in a new clutch. R-tech deliberatly toned down an element of my map to avoid some clutch slip they were spotting.

As in life, my thinking can easily be different to others, including yours. But for me, the benefits of an excellent map far outweigh a new exhaust, especially on a non (R)/S3 four pot. But thats me, not you! Have a good think; which one do you really want more, if you need/have to choose? Good maps/exhausts (however you personally define good) both exist. Take your time there is no rush, and our thinking is just advice or experiences - and then decide yourself what works best for you!

Reactions: Nozrul Islam
Given I probably drive the once a week for about 10-20 miles I think I'll hold on to the remap and have a think,thanks Mr C.

But the the painting of brake calipers, Rob and Dave... Do I just paint it after removing the wheels or does the whole caliper units need to be removed? Off course following the prep work.

Need to refurb the wheels too.

Last edited:
E tech kit from eBay.
Comes in several colours and includes brush and brake cleaner.
Quite simple but I'd invest in axle stands so you can do 2 at a time.
You mask off the disks and areas you don't want painted and then apply 2 to 3 coats.

Given I probably drive the once a week for about 10-20 miles I think I'll hold on to the remap and have a think,thanks Mr C.

But the the painting of brake calipers, Rob and Dave... Do I just paint it after removing the wheels or does the whole caliper units need to be removed? Off course following the prep work.

Need to refurb the wheels too.
What wheels do you have?

Same as yours... I believe these are the DTM. Will post pic of car soon.

Same as yours... I believe these are the DTM. Will post pic of car soon.
Just had my wheels refurbed and I'm well happy with the result.
2d70a24a40ceb6ee2b95121a061f199c.jpg

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Thanks will give them a ring.
As for painting the calipers did you them before painting or left them on? Thanks

Thanks will give them a ring.
As for painting the calipers did you them before painting or left them on? Thanks
I left the calipers on.
Just taped up the disc etc.

Thanks Pal, I think I'll give this ago in the next few weeks. I like the "S" decal on yours, looks nice.
Also came across Foliatec paint as well on eBay... Biggest decision is what colour do I go for, wanted red but having seen yours I like black as well or maybe even blue? Now before someone suggests I already thought of it - paint each caliper different colour :tearsofjoy:

Just had my wheels refurbed and I'm well happy with the result.
2d70a24a40ceb6ee2b95121a061f199c.jpg

yep, look very nice , in someways I regret selling mine but the rials I have now are a good looking rim and I really like them now, I prefer the rials as they are just a bit more contoured in the spoke dept etc and I like contoured..lol

nice work david .