Leon Cupra R to A3 1.6TDI to A3 1.4TFSI 8V

ChrisGTL

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Looks like I picked a good forum here as I've seen lots of useful information already.

I just sold my 2005 Cupra R 225PS so I could take ownership of my dads pride and joy A3 1.6TDI Sport (2009), and at 17:30 today I will be picking up the car he ordered before he passed away.. :-(

The car I will be picking up is a A3 Sport 1.4TFSI 122PS.

I am still getting used to the power difference coming from a remapped Cupra R to the 1.6TDI but overall I am quite satisfied with the A3. I did test drive the new 1.4TFSI which I will be picking up but because my head wasn't really in a good place I can't remember any detail about it...

The difference in fuel costs is massive from my Cupra R to the 1.6TDI and I hope the 1.4TFSI can deliver the same kind of stunning figures. I got 62.3MPG out of the 1.6TDI on the way to work this morning which is basically 15 miles of motorway driving @ 50-60MPH and 3 miles of 30/40MPH zones.

I know the 1.4TFSI won't be as high as that but I do hope I can achieve low 50's MPG!!!!

Getting quite excited about the new car now, I have promised myself not to get the modding bug this time - but unfortunately I have already taken note of how good the Audi rings look blacked out. eeeek......lol

Hi Chris welcome to audi-sport.net. Sorry to hear about your dad. I hope you will enjoy the new 8v. You will get a lot if info from the guys in here, they are all super friendly. Enjoy the forum. :) x

Reactions: ChrisGTL
Hi Chris, welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear about your Dad. I picked up my 1.4 TFSI yesterday and it drives beautifully. At the moment I'm achieving around 40-45 mpg but that's driving on a little bit of motorway and A roads.

Once you get use to the car and take a lot of attention when the car tells you to change gears, you'll find out that it revs fine at 1k and chug along easily. With sensible driving along dual carriageway and a road I'm able to hit about 43mpg. On motorways at 80 I can get about 52mpg.

Hi ChrisGLT, welcome to the forum, have attached a link to honest John website that quotes 46 mpg on average for the 1.4 122ps TFSI which from what I have seen on here seams about right. But people on here have been commenting on how much better they they found the engine than they where expecting, very smooth, very quiet and quicker than you would think so i am sure you will be more than happy with it.

Audi A3 2012 1.4 TFSI - Real MPGs | Honest John

Welcome Chris and sorry for your loss. Hopefully your Dad will be smiling down on you when you take delivery of the A3. For the last month I've been doing brim to brim fills. I'm only doing between 150 and 200 miles per week, mostly in heavy traffic.

The actual MPG i have been getting is 43, using basic arithmetic. The Average mpg indicator has been as high as 55 and as low as 41 so all in all a damn good performance considering the type of traffic and the fact that it's petrol, and new.

Last week i started to let the revs run and can honestly say i was gobsmacked. It's certainly no Cupra R or similar, but it definitely thinks it's bigger than a 1.4 L. It's almost like it wants to be revved but of course we're all being careful on here with the new toys.

I would compare the engine to a Jack Russell, small and feisty but with a pair of b**ls that an Alsation would be proud of!