Need a second key

andybubbles

Reaction score
Hi guys,

When i bought my audi a3 it only came with one key /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Need to get a copy incase the worse happens.

Do i need audi for this or can i take it to a decent locksmith? and how much do they charge?

Its the standard black key with the central locking and flip key.

Thanks!

You need to pay through the nose I'm afraid.

You can buy a key blank of eBay and then code it to open the doors yourself, however if you want it to actually start the car, you need to get Audi to do it, so be prepared to pay £150 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

This is why I am still on one key only...

Well not really, mine cost about £10. Bought a blank (£10) got the fob free from my friendly audi dealer and then got the blank cut from the local vw dealer for free i think and finally the audi dealer coded it for me.
All done and working great.

you can easily pick up nearly new fobs on ebay for around £30 -40 and blanks for about £8 now and a dealer chould not charge more than 1/2 hour labour for coding

So hang on, the dealer coded the key to do what?

You can code the door yourself, and the central locking, but for the immobiliser it has to de done via Audi HQ and both Camberley and Reading Audi want £100 for it...

I posted how to add keys already. I assumed that works with the ignition or did it just add remote control function?

Hi guys,

Thanks for your help but im still a bit confused /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Can you please explain the exact process from buying a key on ebay to driving off the drive way?

Really appreciate your help! Just dont wanna make any mistakes and i dont think the audi dealer will be happy to answer this.

Cheers
Andy

There are three parts to the key.

1.The remote part for controlling the remote central locking

2.The transpoder chip to disable the engine immobiliser when it comes withing range of the stering coloumn

3. The physical metal key itself.

The first part can be programmed yourself using his instructions.

The second part needs to be programmed by your dealer. You can do it yourself if you can VAG-COM and your secret key code (SKC). I have mine, but it sounds like you don't.

The third part is cut at the dealer or at a decent highstreet locksmith. You need to obtain a blank blade from either ebay or the dealer.

Th annoying thing is that none of the dealers will give you the same answer when you ask for price. Some will not help you at all and charge the earth. Others will be helpful and charge what it should cost for this simple process.

So, get a flip key from ebay, then source a blank blade and then try to find a helpful place to code the key.

Hope that helps.

Same for me- Lucky the garage I bought off said they'd pay for a spare key if I got it all sorted at an audi garage.

whole job inc key cost £100

Audi will charge another £50 if you want a key fob with a remote zapper. (i just went for the bog standard spare with a light on it.)

[ QUOTE ]

The second part needs to be programmed by your dealer. You can do it yourself if you can VAG-COM and your secret key code (SKC).

[/ QUOTE ]

Aha, excellent, guess who got his VAG-COM cable today!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The second part needs to be programmed by your dealer. You can do it yourself if you can VAG-COM and your secret key code (SKC).

[/ QUOTE ]

Aha, excellent, guess who got his VAG-COM cable today!

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool. Its very straight forward. You delete all keys and then add all the new ones. Just follow the proceedure on ross-tech's site.

Also, don't worry if the immobiliser light stays on when your done. This is normal and will go out after a while. As long as the engine starts you are fine.

I've been through the whole above process as my recently-acquired A4 came with 3 flip-type keys but only 2 would actually start the engine.
My local (Audi) dealer coded the 3rd key to the engine immobiliser for £44 inc Vat and it took about 30 mins for them to do.
Regarding key blanks; I'd forget about the Ebay ones to be honest.
I bought one via Ebay for £3.49 (delivered) as I had been told that VW/Audi dealers charged an arm and a leg for them.Then found that not a single key place would cut the blade for me, claiming that they were a nightmare to cut properly......
Doing a little more research found out that a local VW main dealer was able to supply/cut the keys, their price was only £5.29 inc vat; cutting was free.
Needless to say I visited them to buy 1 blade and have it cut; they even cut my Ebay blade for free too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

My key stopped working for the remote central locking. So I put some new batteries in it & it still won't operate the central locking. It starts the car OK but when you open the car with the key in the door the alarm sounds if you don't turn the key in the ignition within about 10 seconds.

Do I jusst need to reprogram the key & if so how?

Cheers.

[ QUOTE ]
My key stopped working for the remote central locking. So I put some new batteries in it & it still won't operate the central locking. It starts the car OK but when you open the car with the key in the door the alarm sounds if you don't turn the key in the ignition within about 10 seconds.

Do I jusst need to reprogram the key & if so how?

Cheers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you need to sync the key that you changed the batteries in back to the car again.
Am fairly certain the procedure is outlined in the owners handbook; same thing happened to me a while ago when I changed my keyfob batteries.....
Something like key (that works) in ignition barrel with ignition on, then take key that needs to be synchronised and use it to lock drivers door from outside.......can't remember exact procedure, but is easy once you know what to do...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Right - This is not fun at all!

Just spoke to loads of Audi dealers and they are charging around £160 for the job.

I can get a key off ebay for aboty £10 -£30. Audi can then program this for about £56 inc VAT. If the key doesnt work they will still charge me for the job! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The main problem is getting it cut. No Audi dealer will cut, they all say they dont have the machine as its a laser (the cut is in the middle of the key). Ive called loads of locksmiths and only one guy said he might be able to do it at a cost of £40.

Grhhh! Think i might have to pay up £160 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Glad I'm not the only one that has experienced the above then....

I'm just hoping I don't lose my key.

[ QUOTE ]

The main problem is getting it cut. No Audi dealer will cut, they all say they dont have the machine as its a laser (the cut is in the middle of the key). Ive called loads of locksmiths and only one guy said he might be able to do it at a cost of £40.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was told the same garbage by my (normally superb) local Audi Centre; perhaps no Audi Centre can cut keys but larger VW main dealers can, see my post above.
£5.29 inc vat is the VW retail price for a blank flip key blade, I would suggest you try a friendly VW dealer, like I did /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.