Help, I need somebody, Help, not just anybody, Heeeelp!

ceetaji

Reaction score
Following my recently deceased A3 ('My first thread detailing this is awating approval 'Slippery When Wet), I am now the owner of a 2.0 TFSI Sline Special Edition. And believe me it’s certainly ‘special’.

First the NSR rear anti roll bar link arm needed replacing, once that noise was rectified it uncovered a whole manor of other niggling issues. So I booked it in to a garage. It was diagnosed. I approved the repairs and that should have been that. Unfortunately it hasn’t been so straight forward.

They misdiagnosed the cause. More work was required. I went in for the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] time to collect after being told it was ready only to find they had not replaced parts I had been charged for. I complained. It was replaced. I went in to collect it for what was hopefully the final time, this time I actually managed to get into the drivers seat! My happiness was short lived though. It turned out they had removed the issue but replaced it with another more sinister one, one that that turned out to be the dreaded steering rack!

So now after 3 and a half weeks a ton of money later the garage still have my car and have now agreed to replace the steering rack FOC which is marvelous. I’m over the moon, however, I now have a dilemma.

I know what driving on sheet ice and aqua planning feels like, and the standard Audi A3 steering isn’t far off that experience, it’s lifeless and provides no feedback. Which got me thinking after reading a few threads in the past that the TT rack is a direct replacement for the Audi A3 one?

So my question to those in the know is will my 56 plate, 07 registered Audi A3 2.0 TFSI Sline Special Edition be able to have an Audi TT’s steering rack (of similar year) directly installed with no issues or added cost? Are there any issues that come with doing this, and if so, what? I am aware the steering ratio is different and therefore requires fewer turns to get to full lock? Other than that though I’m clueless. Oh and last but not least are the parts any different in price? If it’s getting replaced FOC it makes sense to get one that enhances the car and the drive so long as it doesn't cost a silly amount to have the prefered TT one.

P.S. Sorry for if this has been covered I’m not too good at finding what I want in search engines.

P.P.S I have to have this discussion with the guys tomorrow so I would really appreciate anyone who’s in the know to shed some light on the situation ASAP.

Many thanks.

You can change the settings using vcds to make the steering harder or lighter with the standard rack

Thank you for responding Patrick. Excuse me ignorance. Is VCDS similar to VAG.com? I didn't realise the standard steering could be set to be heavier or lighter. Just as well it can because the garage will only swap it for a like for like part! I

s it simple enough to do and have you done it yourself?Quite interested to hear how different it is with the, I'm assuming, standard and lifeless set up.

Thanks again

Craig

Yep there the same thing. Slightly different but do the same as far as I'm aware. And what you do is adjust the steering pump settings. Think it goes from 1-10. 1 being the hardest and 10 the softest (might be other way round)
If you contact Nhn on here he will probably no more about it than me. As he is the gouru of this stuff 😃

Awesome, thank you very much! Hopefully I'll be getting the car back today so fingers they've tweeked the steering as I asked them to. They did say they would not be modifying the car in anyway from the standard set up though, hence not allowing the TT rack, hopefully this doesn't class as 'modifying'?

Cheers Patrick! :respekt:

I wouldn't fit a TT rack to the A3, glad they stuck to the A3 type.

Steering adjustment was only available on the older 8P's, via steering assist iirc, but then the option disappeared, you'd need vcds anyway to check & adjust.

I wouldn't fit a TT rack to the A3, glad they stuck to the A3 type.

Steering adjustment was only available on the older 8P's, via steering assist iirc, but then the option disappeared, you'd need vcds anyway to check & adjust.

Thank you very much for responding Nigel.

Audi fitted the latest A3 steering rack/ wiring looms etc in the end. Phew!

Picked her up on Friday. Finally after almost a month I'm out of the courtesy car! :yahoo: