A8 D3 3.0 tdi - thoughts?

munchkincoupe

Reaction score
I test drove a 3.0tdi A8 D3 a few days and thought it was an awesome motor. Smooth drive, lots of toys as standard and a massive boot. I do a 40mile round trip everyday on 60/70mph roads/motorways.

Thought I would read around them a bit more before going back with my wife but there is very little input on the A8 section of this site and others so thought I would ask here

What are your thoughts on these motors?
Relaible?
Running costs?

Thanks

I have an A6 2005 3.0 TDi ... the MMI is the same as the A8 ... the V6 3.0 TDi is shared between them ...

My advice great cars, superb drive, used car price is great but eye watering bills when they go wrong ...

The early V6 is more prone to chain rattle due to a poor material used on the early engines, circa £2k@indi or £4K@dealer fix ...

The early V6 injectors are poorer in comparison to later, DIY install for full set@£1.5K or £2k@indi or £3k+@dealer ...

The early tiptronic has TSB/TPI's ...

From my own nosing around TSBs and parts catalogue you need a production date of 2007 onwards to miss all three of the major manufacturing issues IMO ...

Also software within modules in later cars will be better as well ...

Ok this was a 2005 so I'll steer clear then

would a warranty cover any of those issues if I took one out yearly?

No idea :blush: ... would really depend on T&C's of cover ... some of those items maybe considered wear & tear ...
I've never had aftermarket warranty, nor claimed on one ...

Sometimes even manufacturer warranty claims can me a minefield :wacko: ...

forget taking a warrenty out they aren't worth the paper they are written on

save the money for if it does go wrong