Nattys Blue Paste leaving smears

danb986

In awe of VCDS
Reaction score
At the weekend I had my brother (who does this for a living) go over the A3 with 3 stages of compound and his rotary. The results were astounding and better than how if would've left the factory.

I decided not to use my Poorboys Black Hole glaze as there weren't any swirls/holograms and went straight to the Nattys Blue Paste. I used a damp Meguiars foam pad and put on a VERY light layer. From reviews and clips on youtube, it works best when left in the sun for haze over and they were right. It wiped off with one pass of my mf cloth. I'm certain I didn't use too much as I was overly conscious of this and hardly used any from the pot.

After I'd been all round the car and given it a buffing over I noticed what looked like swirls. I wiped it again and they disappeared. I then noticed that they were only there when I wiped it in one direction and were actually smears. It was almost like there was an oily film that was only visible when at the right angle in the sun.

I had this the day before when I waxed my other black car and put it down to either the mf towels I had being too course, or not using enough clean mf towels.

Is there any reason this is happening?
I'm a bit of a novice at this, so it's more than likely that I'm doing something wrong.
I've got some Autosmart Reglaze Cleaner Polish Dressing that I've got in a squirty bottle, but was worried I might end up removing the wax if I used that to remove the smeariness.
Would misting the car with water and buffing off like you do with Zymol Cleaner Wax help, or am I running the risk of removing wax again? My other thought was to get some Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax and try going over it with that.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

still sounds like too much product.could also be that if you are using the same mf cloth for more than one panel it could be putting back on what youve taken off