Retro fitting cruise control

SinghB7

Reaction score
Hi, just a quick question.

Wanting to fit it to my 2007 A4, is it just a case of buying the stalk, plug it in and use vagcom to turn it on?

thanks.

you need the switch the column cover & 2 screws total cost from audi when i did it a few months ago was £70 for everything

one thing you may need is the comms unit for the steering wheel, as you need to have somewhere to plug the switch in

then its just a case of coding with VCDS

tbh it took me about 1hr at my mates garage and he coded it in minutes

Yes but you have to be careful with removing the parts & refitting, as if you damage the slip ring which houses the angle sensor, you have a problem.

If you need an installer, give me a shout, I can supply/fit it all :)

Its easy,

unscrew and remove lower steering shroud
take airbag off
unscrew center bolt holding wheel to column
mark it with permant pen
slide wheel off
unplug steering angle sensor
unscrew a couple screws from indicator stalk
pry the indicatator stork off (not sure what its call its like a metal plate) slightly
plug in cruise control stalk
screw it in

re connect battery
check for faults
code it in
Puit everyting back

Thatss a pretty crude guide but its jsut off the top of my head what I did and I havn't done it before and didn't look at any guide apart from coding it in. Its jsut a case of taking stuff apart till you can put it in and the re asseble.

took me about 1 hour - 90mins tops

Cheers, James

James with respect, its easy for some people who are geared towards that area of tech as such, when advising others as an installer, its not just to try get the work, before anyone stumps up, but its also to protect someone from causing themselves even larger costs for a job that doesn't warrant it, if you can see they're not very savvy with these things, no offense to others btw, as I don't know others levels of knowledge of these things.

Most people on the street etc, would never dream of stripping a wheel of, airbag, column etc, so yes they have the diy option, but you have to be honest that the systems they're working on can become damaged if things are not done correctly & they need the correct tools that most don't want/need after doing some mods, so its cheaper to pay someone to do who has the tools etc that are used often, given I've been to some right hash ups in my small time working in this area of technology.

Overall its not hard to do, but you also cant go into it blind either, as how many times on various forums do you read of people doing things themselves & they say oh dear I broke something because I didnt know etc etc.

Sorry to hijack the thread.
Changing steering module and slip ring in mine with second hand ones. Do I need to code the abs? If so how do I work out the login code? And then is it a case of using the original code I got from scanning the car before install? Im just trying to get all the codes etc.. worked out before starting.

Thanks