s3 road going weight?

isnt the size of the housing usually on there?

should be like .86 AR or something

A bigger intake and huge fmic like tufftys custom made one would help.......I'm no expert though!

looks like its got some decent parts on it, is the car tidy overall?

Sean

yes its in very good condition, a few stone chips on the bonnet, and a little scab on the roof half way down by the roof trim. wheels are scuffed but thats about it

Just found out its actually a T3 turbo with a .73 hot side .53 cold side - whatever that means - to me from driving it it means to fecking big and too much lag

Last edited:
someone has suggested i need a .62 hotside to reduce the lag and spool it earlier - is that true?

Lag and peak power are dictated by the size of the wheels AND the housing size.

Common garretts usually come in two sizes, 3 n the reeaaally big variety of turbos. .63 and .82

the thing with ebay turbos is theyre very mismatched wheel and housing wise (there are some good ones however), and they twnd to be of heavy cheap materials, hence the lag.

If you knew the exact details of yiur current one, measuremwnts etc, and where it came from, theres no reason why you couldnt chanhe the housing and reduce the lag. But, if it is an ebay turbo, it might be difficult to sourve a housing for the correct wheel.
Therefore you might be better off sourcing a new one, carefully.
It will be worth taking it off to have a look, it looks accessible.

Just had a thought, with strange housing a/r ratios like that it could be some variety of holset turbo, theyre quoted as cm^2 size, and very innacurately converted to an A/R figure.

Unless you can find out exactly what it is from previous owner, i say take the thing off and inspect it.

Its also worth noting we dont know the general condition of that engine, and there may be another factor affecting spool/boost.

thanks for you help though, didnt understand all of it though... haha

decided im actually going to break this car, remove and sell the turbo but keep the bulk of the engine for the Lotus project, thanks for the help guys.