Strange Issue today

czm

Reaction score
I am hoping somebody might be able to help.

Today I pulled out of a junction in my 2004 1.8t Avant 190 (BEX) today and there was a very apparant lack of power/boost. It is hard to expalin but the power seemed to come and then go, almost like a jerky/jumpy power flow. Like it was holding back and then it would try to go again. This happened throughout the revs all the way up to 6th.

There was also a whoosh from the turbo (much louder than normal).
I got home and turned the car off and checked under the hood, coudl not see anything clear so took it out again and it seemed ok and has done since however it has now made me concerned.
It has never done it before and there are no errors/cels or oil pressure lights

The car has done 70k with reg services, belts ect.

Anybody knwo what this might have been/is?

So far I am thinking a boost leak/split hose (but surely this issue would be there all the time)
DV valve got stuck? ( do/can they even do that?)
Air filter? - although this was changed last service @ 69k

Any help woul dbe much appreciated.

Sounds like a boost leak, best thing to do is scan it with vcds for faults/codes.

Thanks m8, I just nee dot find somebody who can scan it.

Glad the meet went ok today, I would have been there if this had not happened today, will defo be at the next one.

I had a really strange issue in mine today too. We went for a family walk at a reservoir and the road is a little bumpy, so my car slightly scraped a few times. Nothing major, just tiny scrapes.

When we came to leave there was a grinding noise, and also the car felt really similar to how you have described engine wise too. I stopped and checked but couldn't see anything untoward. Thing is, we were on some crazy steep single track road so i had to keep going really. When I got to the top the banging had long stopped and the engine seemed to give one final spurt of randomness and now it all seems fine. I left it for about 4 hours to cool, went for a drive and not a single problem.

I'm wondering whether it was a double issue, such as possible a boost leak, and something stuck in the tyres/ discs, suspension etc? I've also currently got a sticking rear caliper, and I'm thinking that there may be something slightly wrong with my front suspension too so not sure if they're linked.

Sorry to hijack, but it's just odd how my engine sounded/ felt very similar just this afternoon too. Mine is a 1.9tdi though.

czm if you had come to the meet I had my laptop and vcds cable with me , i could have scanned it lol

arrr dont tell me that!!!!!!!!
Whens the next one??????? Maybe if you are in the theford/bury area soon let me know.

not quite sure when next meet is yet. If it starts doing it again try unplugging the Maf if it doesnt get/run worse then could be Maf on way out. Bury is about an hour from me ,where are you ?

I was about to say could be a tempremental maf. My old 8L S3 felt the same, it doesn't show up as a fault on engine managemen, but can be spotted with a live reading on VCDS if values are low and not what they should be.