few questions on my a4 b6 2.5tdi

Tomcat1982

Reaction score
heres my new car:
P1090223

i have a few questions and hoping you guys can help me.
  • what wheels are they on there? the standard a4 ones? i have no idea, i need to get a spare so trying to find out.
  • how do i get into the glove box as the normal way doesnt work, i guess i need to fix a cable or something as i unlocked it with the key it just doesnt open.
Im a fan of hearing the car, not loud and chavy just a nice note....at the moment the engine and exhausts etc are standard.
what exhaust is a good option? induction kit also? i see some exspensive ones does the price really make much difference in quailty?

the car feels to have a flat spot, will getting the car tuned remove this? and make it a bit more responsive? i dont want to make the car unreliable i just want to make the car sound nice and run more smoother, any small power gains along the way is just a bonus really.

im sure there is more i want to ask but cant remember anything at the moment.

thanks in advance :)

They're not standard wheels, they might be reps or originals depending. They're RS6 style wheels, probably 18's although there are a few 17's about.

If you look in the DIY Guide's sticky at the top of this section you'll see several guides, one of which will help you to open the glovebox if the mechanism is broken.

There have a been a few threads recently about catbacks etc on the 2.5, have a look and see what you think.

Most 2.5 (180's) will remap to 210bhp straight away. How bad is the flatspot? They do have a bit of a torque hole at 1500-1800 rpm in my experience, a good remap will remove this. Be aware that if the flatspot is due to another issue, a remap will probably highlight this!

great thanks alot mate, how do i tell if there genuine or reps any idea?
#
it might be the torque hole your talking about that i mean, it seems like turbo lag, like the turbo only kicks in late in the revs. first gear is pretty bad for it.

what sort of a remap will i need? any ideas on cost?

The only real way is to take a wheel off and see if it's stamped with the four rings or maybe Ronal.

Typically, £200-400 for a remap depending where you go.

brilliant thanks will take the wheel of to see if its stamped, and will enquire about a remap.

reading around its best to blank of the egr valve and get it mapped?

can i blank the egr valve of before getting it mapped or does the map tell it its not there so i have to wait till im getting it mapped?

also would the car benifit from a fmic with just theses mods? or will it just be a waste of money?

thanks

Hi Tomcat (is that a reference to Rover Tomcat's by any chance?)
If your not too far from me i have a few generic 2.5 Maps i've picked up recently i could throw on there for you if your not looking to spend mega money on a full on rolling road remap.

hello, yes Tomcat is the rover tomcat, that was my first car i had it for about 5 years so my forum name was Tomcat for 5 years and everyone knew me by the name so i keep it as that now lol.

what area are you from? im in marlborough (wiltshire)
if your localish to me message me a price you would like to put one on there for me please. will be good to get something on there :D

thanks

Hi your a fair drive from me, I am in the Midlands (Telford).
I've also had lots of Rover Tomcat's, I currently own a very very rare White 220 Coupe Turbo thats in the process of a full restoration.

ah typical thanks anyway. there good cars people underestimate then. they look nice in white and yes rare as you say. do you have pics on fb would be interesting to keep an eye on that? my enter key isn't working doh!! lol

cant remember my log in details doh! but I searched it and nothing comes up :(

remembered it still nothing :( heres a couple of mine:
tomcat.jpg
bootbuild.jpg
never did get round to lowering it in all the time I owned it lol