power steering has just spilt its guts :(

future

Scuderia Vittoria Edition 001
Reaction score
hoping for some help here please guys and girls! i have had a search and cant find anything similar on here.

Just on my way back home and after turning around a tight roundabout just by my house i started to hear a horrible whine when steering, i parked up at home and checked the pas fluid to see nothing but foam...grrr...

Topped it up turned the car on hoping it had just been low anyway, but the new fluid passed straight through the system and on to the floor :keule:

i have just put the car up on stands and had a poke around to find a nice pool of fluid by the passenger side wishbone area, the hard pipe/joints and flexi are all clear in that area, but when i poked the rubber dust cover for the steering rack it ****** out fluid, is this the problem or a side affect of having aire running through the system? And any suggestions on where to start fixing things??

thanks!!

thanks for the quick reply dave! is it not possible to replace them on these racks? or just not economical?

Also is it possible to pull a fuse to save the pas pump so i can collect new parts?

cheers

Had same problem. Needs new rack. Does the golf 4motion rack fit? My mechanic said you just need to grind a bracket so it clears the downpipe?!

Doh and double Doh!

So if it is the rack is it swappable DIY stlyee or garage only job.

Just had a quick squiz on ebay and a recon rack can be bought for £150 inc P+P so not the end of the world in parts prices

i think i saw a thread from you sportquattro when searching and was just keeping my fingers very very crossed mine wasnt the same!!

Does anyone know if i can pull a fuse/plug to stop the pump so i can go pick up my new rack?

cheers