2001MY 8L - Number Plate Light Unit

JonnyG2606

Reaction score
Hey all,

recently tried to fit led number plate lights and seem to have a problem with the unit on the drivers side not working - I have tried turning the bulbs etc but no joy.

I have purchased some new OEM number plate light units (not just the lens with the bulb holder), but no idea how the old one comes out! - does anyone know if they will come out from outside or if I need to go into the boot and get at them from inside? any help would be appreciated!

Not sure about how to get the whole unit out (tbf I thought the whole unit was just the lens with the bulb holder) but are the connections in the bulb holder corroded as mine stopped working, cleaned the connections and all has been fine since.

If you want to remove the whole number plate light unit, not just the lenses and bulb holders, then you need to do it from inside the tailgate cover.

Pull off the tailgate trim, and all should be revealed. It's quite hard to remove the trim without breaking the metal clips, but you should be ok with a bit of care.

I had to replace mine on my old A3 after a number plate bulb went and the lens cover screws had corroded and I couldn't get it off.