Service schedule curiosity

ricostuart

Reaction score
Hey all

Bit of a question that I have always wondered. Why do people service their car just once a year? Tbh I don't know what the service intervals are on my s4, nor do I care as I do bits at staggered intervals throughout the year. Sparks one day, oil another, filters, etc. While some stuff good to do together, most don't need to be. I like to change and fix as an on going thing.
What do you guys think? I could be wrong, but I like working on the car giving it plenty of TLC.

The service schedule specifies what must be done, as a minimum, at specified intervals, with a record being created. Everyone is free to do what they want, as they consider necessary, in between times.

Out of interest, the way you have described your staggered approach suggests you might change the oil at a different time from changing the oil filter.

Ah do it does! Things like that I certainly do together as it would be silly not too! Admittedly I do prefer to do it all myself then some garage. But keeping records of course! :)

I take it to a garage because if I tried to do it myself, chances are I'd drain all the oil out of the gearbox and pour 8.2 litres of fully synthetic into the brake fluid reservoir.

Reactions: Molnboman
As I have all the dexterity of a failed abbotier attendant, and very little garage gear, I leave most of the tech stuff' to people who do it for a living! As my car is a 2005 and 198,000km's....I don't see the added value of a fully stamped up Audi dealer book...especially at 120 quid an hour plus 25% vat up here just for labour! So all parts I buy are only genuine VAG parts via the net or VAG dealers and get my local garage to do the labour at a more reasonable 55 quid and hour.I keep every receipt.. for parts and labour,which up here, is recorded with your mileage....details of when oil changes have been done etc, and they stamp up the service book when required...part from oil and filter change which I do every 6,000 miles. I try and get parts checked and replaced when necessary as per service schedule. It is as good as you get I reckon!

Cheers
A

Last edited:
I push the little spanner thingy on the dash and it tells me when I need to book it in. Service book all dealer and stamped up.
Mechanically minded and quite a good mechanic, but certain issues don't let me tinker any more.

I push the little spanner thingy on the dash and it tells me when I need to book it in. Service book all dealer and stamped up.
Mechanically minded and quite a good mechanic, but certain issues don't let me tinker any more.

I presume you have learned the hard way that a seized bolt should not be freed by shooting it?

As I have all the dexterity of a failed abbotier attendant, and very little garage gear, I leave most of the tech stuff' to people who do it for a living! As my car is a 2005 and 198,000km's....I don't see the added value of a fully stamped up Audi dealer book...especially at 120 quid and hour plus 25% vat up here just for labour! So all parts I buy are only genuine VAG parts via the net or VAG dealers and get my local garage to do the labour at a more reasonable 55 quid and hour.I keep every receipt.. for parts and labour,which up here, is recorded with your mileage....details of when oil changes have been done etc, and they stamp up the service book when required...part from oil and filter change which I do every 6,000 miles. I try and get parts checked and replaced when necessary as per service schedule. It is as good as you get I reckon!

Cheers
A

That's pretty much what I do, only in England.