Possibly need a new battery

Mark24a3

Reaction score
Having abit of trouble with the audi, when I come to start it up at night it needs jumping, done this for past 3 nights now. Got my hands on a multimeter this morning and tested the battery before I went to work and it had dipped to 11.84v then when I came back tested again and it was 11.72v, jumped the car again and tested the charging voltage and it was 14.2 volts. Am I right in thinking its time for a new battery?

you might have something draining the battery best thing to do is when you park it up at night disconect one of the battery leads
if it starts up in the morning then you know it is not the battery if it doesnt it is. simple check

I’ve had similar issues. After coming back from Skiing, I connected the battery backup, car started perfectly every morning in the cold/snow. Now using the Radio, after not using the Radio for 3-4 weeks, the interior lights look a bit dim, and I always think the car is not going to start. I’m quite certain my Radio is draining the battery, but I do need to do further diagnosis.

I disconnected the battery at 10 last night and tested it and it showed 12.2v, at 6.30 this morn it was showing 12.1v and when I tested a few hours ago It showed 12.05v. It started up first attempt. So it would seem something is taking abit of power from the battery. Where to start to try and find the source? Any ideas?

Have you recently fitted an aftermarket stereo? Are all the interior / exterior lights off when locking the car up?

Sorry just replying been busy working. No it's the original stereo and there no lights left on. I've don't nothing to the car in the last 2 months so I'm puzzled.

A good battery should show 12.4v min when standing. How old is yours?

Not sure as I've only had the car 2 years and never haf to replace it.

Just because you've never had to, doesn't mean it does need replacing. Try swaping out for a known good battery for a couple of days and see what happens?

. Go to someone who can test the battery. Where are you from.