Launch Controll Question

I

imported_kkline

How does the use of launch control effect the 0-60 times of the 3.2?

Just wondering

Having driven a 3.2 with DSG and LC for months and also own a manual version, I am pretty confident that I can get the car off the line just as quickly in mine as with LC, especially as there is a brief delay once you take your foot off the brake pedal before the car moves off the line with LC.

The main difference comes from how quickly you can change gear. You leave your right foot pressed down with DSG and the change is almost instant, but there will always be a little bit of lag in a manual unless you want to destroy your gearbox. Audi times to 62mph suggest only a 0.1s difference though and that requires a change into 3rd for the manual car.

My personal opinion is that it is a gimmick. How often do you drag the car from the lights anyway? In the four months of using the DSG car, I barely used it, and then only for amusement, but not at traffic lights!

I had the first legitimate reason to use it last week actually... filled up at a Shell garage the other day, and there is no road leading into the main road, which has a 60 mph limit! Had to time a launch to get into the traffic safely, as after a few minutes, there hadn't been a gap big enough to simply pull out 'calmly'.

In the DSG, it's the only way to drop the 'clutch' at high revs, so I guess it simulates dropping the clutch on a manual, but without the worry of burning your clutch while you're at it!

Given that 3.2s have quattro I can't see that LC would offer much of a benefit either. I wonder if it might be more useful on a non-quattro 2.0T that has DSG - whether it removes the margin for driver error/exuberance/wheel spin/donuts...?

[ QUOTE ]
In the DSG, it's the only way to drop the 'clutch' at high revs, so I guess it simulates dropping the clutch on a manual, but without the worry of burning your clutch while you're at it!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's one of my complaints about DSG,although I have several.
You have to time your exit (junctions/roundabouts etc.) to allow for the 'DSG delay',as I call it.
You plant your foot to the floor and nothing happens for what seems to be an eternity.
In a manual,you would simply raise the revs and slip the clutch.

The launch control is obviously Audi's way of 'getting around' this problem,so why only fit it to the 3.2 ?

If anything,the Tdi needs it more,as the delay between planting your foot and the turbo spooling up is quite horrendous.

I think most Tdi DSG owners will admit to having suffered an "AAARGH!" moment,when they've attempted to pull away smartly and nothing/little has happened and the gap that would have been healthy in a manual car suddenly disappears.

[ QUOTE ]

I think most Tdi DSG owners will admit to having suffered an "AAARGH!" moment,when they've attempted to pull away smartly and nothing/little has happened and the gap that would have been healthy in a manual car suddenly disappears.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yes.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif

Its exactly the same with the Multitronic..that moment of 'delay', while it has a think means that you anticipate gaps by putting your foot down earlier..

and then the power comes in in a rush..!

is the one thing I would like sorted..

Oi! bowfer! Nooo!

I can't type the words "DSG" on this forum without having it shot down in flames by you every time!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

But seriously, I don't think any of the DSG problems exist on the 3.2Q (as you say, it's a TDI thing) as it's only when I'm in "D" mode (which is refered to by Quattro as 'economy' mode) and punching the pedal is the last thing it would expect... and in manual, it's a complete smooth-and-creamy-and-quick-changing dream!

I agree with 'slimbloke'. I find there is sometimes a slight delay if you are in D but none in tiptronic. I make sure my car is already pulling slightly and just hold it on the brake and I am quite happy to go for similar gaps as I would have done in my 1.8T Sport manual.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Feck!! - sure have!

First time I tried a launch control start I still had the handbrake fully engaged /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[ QUOTE ]
First time I tried a launch control start I still had the handbrake fully engaged /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ooops! I would have posted that on a forum if I'd done that too lol.

errrrr, maybe I'da just kept schtum /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Feck!! - sure have!

[/ QUOTE ]

Those of us that have driven Audis with the Multitronic CVT transmission have experienced the same heart-stopping delay too.

It is caused by the multi-plate clutch taking half a second or so to take up the drive that Audi are using instead of a conventional automatic transmission's Torque Convertor. You do learn to live with it by getting on the gas a fraction of second earlier.....scares the passengers everytime /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The upside of the Audi approach is that the transmission is almost (if not better than) as efficient as a manual in terms of not wasting power.

I dont have any experience with launch control. Can sone of you guys explain how it works.

switch off the ESP (traction control, etc), switch the DSG gearbox to "S" mode, then with the handbrake off, put your LEFT foot hard on the brake, then your right foot hard on the accelerator. The engine will rev and hold at around 2500 revs, waiting for you to take your foot off the brake... and when you do, the car and it's multiple computers will try and get you as fast as it can as quick as it can (while leaving your guts in the road behind you!). There's a slight pause between lifting from the brake, and the launch, but it's predictable enough not to be in the way of using it effectively.