Wheel balance weights

Jambo26

Reaction score
Hi
Hi just wondering if anyone knows if you buy the genuine/ factory fit stick on wheel balance weights. I need my first 2 tyres and would to use the Audi weights. Reason being on my last car I was changing weights all the time because they were corroding an looked awfull.

cheers

You're referring to the balancing weights put on by tyre companies, never once had a corrosion issue, just take it to a good tyre place to be done as they all use stick on ones & then its balanced properly & can be tested by the machine for accuracy.

Reactions: ch1z64
I too am looking for an answer on this.
I have had tyres fitted in lots of difference places (including Audi dealers multiple times) and they all rust up after about a year.
So does anyone have an idea where you can get the weights Audi install in the factory?

Lead balance weights for cars have been banned since 2011. Most now are zinc plated steel but of course the thickness of the plating will affect how long before the rust appears. Having the weighs on a strip will increase the speed of rust appearing as when they are cut or snapped to produce the required mass the steel is directly exposed at the edge along the line of the cut. People normally want their tyres for the cheapest possible price therefore the companies will use the cheapest possible effective weights with only a flash of zinc.
However, I understand that motorcycle balance weights are still made from lead.
These weights from Sealey have a plastic coating ontop of the zinc to help prevent rusting but you would still need to run a bead of clear laquer along any cut edge if it really bothered you. The genuine Audi weights will be similar.

If you want audi balancing weights then go to a dealership. It’s that simple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eat your heart out. They range from £2.61+VAT to £5.22+VAT ea.

If I were you I would be dabbing your current ones with a bit of silver hammerite if you really get annoyed by them lol

Another thing to consider is what wheel cleaners are you guys using for rusty wheel weights? Some are acidic and really harsh on wheels and the weights. a lot of those foamy hand car wash places uses very aggressive cleaners and like acidic wheel cleaners they strip any protection off.
I’ve never had issues with wheel weights rusting or corroding even through harsh Scottish winters with loads of salt on the roads.

So did anyone find out where we get the Audi factory wheel weights from? :D

I bought some black ones off eBay as I was OCD about them matching my wheels.

Many wheel balancing machines have a 'hidden weight' setting whereby the stick-on balancing weights can be mounted behind the spokes. I have such a setting on mine and it was demonstrated to me by the salesman when I bought it. However, I’ve never used it once in the 12 years I’ve owned it!