G60 fly wheel question

gary-dw

Reaction score
Hi all no its a well discussed topic but getting the conversion fitted to my 1.8t in the next couple weeks and want to make sure it gets done right. Got all new bolts and was wondering is there an obvious way around the bolts go ie as they are different from standard can you tell which 6 go in flywheel and what 6 go in pressure plate.

They'll only go in the right holes, the threads are completely different in diameter and pitch.

I hope it wasn't more than about £150? Flywheels are about £40, clutch should be about £50 and the bolts and bearing are £30. Most of the pre packed kits are a rip off.

Have you already purchased it?

Not yet. The kit is 200 all brand new lightened fly and uprated clutch. Couldn't find a lightened fly for less than 100 and uprated clutch for less than 100 not including bolts and bearing

You don't need to fit an uprated clutch, and there is no need to lighten the flywheel on a daily driven road car.

A stock VR6 clutch is good for 300bhp.

No i totally see your point and would usually agree but as the standard kit is 159.99 plus 12.99 delivery at 40 quid more is it worth the extra?

Its your money, up to you. For the sake of £40 you might as well, given you're looking at spending £160 anyway. VR6 clutch kits and G60 flywheels often turn up on Edition 38 and the like for £100, it's your call.

Prawn never had an issue with a standard VR6 clutch on all his track days, and only recently changed to a paddle clutch. He did have an exeddy pressure plate though.

Doing a track day shouldn't put much more stress on the clutch than driving on the road, less pulling away from a stand still to heat the clutch, less hills to throw it up, less torque going through the gearbox due to wheel spin etc.

As I say, it's your call. Look at the options and take your choice; but if its your daily driven car I would say just stick to basic parts.

Thanks its more the flywheel thats doing it for me. This is the only forum i tend to visit. To many passwords and usernames lol. I will rethink the options but for the difference seams silly not to. I dont intend on massive amounts of power. Stage 2 is Probaly all il go to but im thinking this kit will outlast all the s**t thrown at it in the time i will keep it

If you are only looking at stage 2, 230ish bhp then standard parts is fine, but if you're spending £160 then you might as well spend an extra £40 and get better stuff.

Have fun :)

I'm wishing I had a lightened flywheel on mine (even as a daily driver with standard power and a G60/VR6 set-up on it) so personally I'd definitely spend the extra £40. I guess it depends what you're used to, personally with a standard G60 flywheel I find the 1.8t a little slow in terms of response, but then I'm used to old cars with typically lively response, so my judgement isn't necessarily fare if you're comparing it to modern equivalents.