'Expectant father'...

Wurzelmania

Reaction score
Evening all,

I'm an expectant father in two senses of the phrase. First child is expected in May and first A4 waiting at the garage to be collected. As we are starting a family, we decided there was the need for a bigger car (have you seen how much baby tat is generated even before the bundle of joy arrives???) and have gone for a 2005 A4 Avant SLine 2.0 TDI 140. We saw it on Saturday and after deliberation have put a deposit on it, with the balance when we collect. This is where a little frustration has crept in. When I test drove it I noticed on starting up the engine turned over nicely, but every now and then a little ticking noise was heard. Not regular intervals and only on occasion until the engine warmed up. When we got back, the noise seemed to have disappeared.

The independent dealer said it was the tensioner on the timing belt and they would fix it on Monday. It's now Tuesday evening and they have reported that the mechanic can't identify where the noise is coming from as after the engine has warmed up the noise disappears.

Now I am impatient the best of times, but just want my car. Can anyone let me know what the noise could be and should I be worried? Can I push them along or just take it along to my local garage who have looked after all my cars?

Any guidance/advice appreciated.

PS - 111k on the clock. I know high mileage but there you go.

PPS - Sorry my first post is a cry for help. As things progress I promise to contribute!

Think these have a chain. If its rattling personally I would stay clear from this until all the relevant components have been replaced.
Im sure someone more technical minded that me will be more precise. There were/are issues with something letting go and wrecking the engine within the timing chain area.

Thats if of course it is a chain

Welcome to ASN!

If you're buying it from a dealer I would opt for an extened warranty, you probably want that piece of mind with all the fun-and-games that await you over the next few months. Having an unreliable/troublesome car is not somthing you need to throw into the mix.

The 140 is generally regarded as the better of the two tdi engines (vs the 170) because the 170 (different engine code, I forget what it is), was subject to an injector recall which has caused many owners problems. However this only affects the 170 and not the 140 variant.

110k is no spring chicken, but if maintained well the engines can last well past that. Service history is important, but again I assume this was a priority given your situation. I test drove a 2.0tdi before I settled on my 3.0tdi (THINK it was the 140, but can't really remember), which had a rough idle... after 2 weeks of the dealer promising to get it sorted I had to walk away because the car still wasn't ready and I had no confidence that it could be 100% right if I did eventually get hold of it. Is it a VAG dealer? Have they scanned it for fault codes?

The A4 is a great car, and I'm sure you will enjoy driving your new family around in one! (even if it turns out not to be this one)

Thanks for the response.

Welcome to ASN!
If you're buying it from a dealer I would opt for an extened warranty, you probably want that piece of mind with all the fun-and-games that await you over the next few months. Having an unreliable/troublesome car is not somthing you need to throw into the mix.
Not buying from a VAG dealer, just an independent dealer. I will take out an extended warranty, but it will be through Warranty Direct i think as after discussing the options, the dealer 6-month warranty is more expensive and with a few 'holes' than going for WD's 12-month warranty.

The 140 is generally regarded as the better of the two tdi engines (vs the 170) because the 170 (different engine code, I forget what it is), was subject to an injector recall which has caused many owners problems. However this only affects the 170 and not the 140 variant..
The 140 was the route I was also steered down by others, so its nice to know that advice I receive elsewhere is good.

110k is no spring chicken, but if maintained well the engines can last well past that. Service history is important, but again I assume this was a priority given your situation. I test drove a 2.0tdi before I settled on my 3.0tdi (THINK it was the 140, but can't really remember), which had a rough idle... after 2 weeks of the dealer promising to get it sorted I had to walk away because the car still wasn't ready and I had no confidence that it could be 100% right if I did eventually get hold of it. Is it a VAG dealer? Have they scanned it for fault codes?
Service history definitely a key factor. The stamps are all there at around 10k intervals (one with an 18k, but was followed shortly after by a 6k) and timing belt/chain was changed at 79k. I expect that this will need doing soon and I am prepared for that.

Looking at the details in the logbook it looks like it was a lease car - born at Leeds Audi, then operated from a company in the Bristol area. Or at least, that's where the stamps show. I ran an experian vehicle check on it and all came up clear, so I have the confidence in its origins.

Sounds like you've considered all your options and made an educated decision. Unfortunately I can't help you diagnose the source of the mysterious noise. I'd have to advise you to wait for the input of someone more mechanically minded that myself!

But for future reference 75% of faults can be diagnosed using VAGCOM (or VCDS, they are the same thing), and it can save you a lot of time and hastle if you can get the car read for fault codes before taking it to a garage and them starting the clock at £50+ an hour.

Apart from already having put a deposit down on it, (which you should get back if they could not fix the problem they agreed they would), is there a particular reason THIS A4 was chosen? Do you have time to look for another which might not have the same noise?

Morning. I cannot comment on the issues with the issues you are having unfortunately but I have had my A4 for just over 2 years now. I absolutely love mine and haven't had any issues at all (touch wood) so far. Congratulations on the impending arrival. My little boy is nearly 11 months now, he loves the A4 :)

Went for this one after viewing several. The price was good in terms of OTR and p/x of my old car; FSH with Audi (due to it being lease/company car I suppose); MOT was a good 7 months away with no advisories (can I check that out though independently? The new MOT certificates you get are cr*p and just don't 'feel' right).

Oddie - thanks for your..err.... input.:think::thumbsup:

Looking forward to May

As for getting deposit back - IF I was to go down the route of giving up what (and not holding anyone to their response) is a reasonable length of time I should give to for fixing the issue before I say enough is enough? The receipt does state that if I pull out then I don't get the deposit back and could be liable for any work undertaken up to that point. I understand they have to look after themselves at times to stop timewasters, but as I said earlier they haven't resolved the issue and I was initially told it would be sorted out on the Monday.

Sorry for the whinging - you set your mind to something and expect it to follow a smooth path.

I know how you feel, this is exactly what happened to me in Jan. Was it a big deposit? Better to walk away a few £100 down and take them to small claims court rather than spending £4-5k and ending up with another £2k repair bill in 3 months...

Let us know how it pans out, hopefully it will be something simple and non-terminal :icon_thumright:

Wasn't a big deposit, but enough to be annoyed at on the run up to Christmas. Hopefully SCC won't be needed - more hassle.

Update
The mechanic has identified that the sound is actually the air con compressor. Something to do with it disengaging from the aux belt to stop damage. Therefore they will replace it and it should be good to go... Looks like not collecting it now then until next week, which is disappointing but at least they have identified it and I will do a thorough check when I do collect.

With regard to VAGCOM or VCDS, how can I get the fault codes read without going to a garage? I am tempted once I pick up the car to get it checked out (I know this is a little backward). I will be in a sufficent 'legal' window to go back to the dealer if there are other faults not identified, i.e. car not sold as seen, etc...

Where are you located buddy. Someone will help with VCDS if your local I'm sure

We live South Birmingham - Hall Green/Bilesley. Planning on updating my profile soon when I have a decent picture of an Audi...