Spark plug renewal

Gordon

Reaction score
I have just attempted renewing the spark plugs on a 1.6 AKL engine. Plugs 1 and 4 were replaced no problem. Plugs 2 and 3 (i.e. the two inboard plugs) are totally inaccessible.
I consulted the Haynes manual and it states that that the lower half of the variable inlet manifold must be removed for access on the AVU engine but it does not mention the AKL engine.
Has anyone out there got experience of this? Is there any way of replacing them without the hassle of inlet manifold/fuel rail removal etc.?

i've done this on mine & it's a complete sod to do. i took the inlet manifold off & had to take other stuff off to do so...

mine's a 1999 1.6 - i think thats an AKL engine.

i'm pretty sure that u will have to remove all the inlet gubbins to change the plugs.

i also have the Haynes manual - which was no help at all sadly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

My mother has the same engine and i
changed the plugs on that without
removing the manifold even though
the manual said to do so you need
a 3/8 drive ratchet with a universal
knuckle attached it is fiddly but no
need to dismantle the manifold.

fair enough - i was just using a standard ratchet.

it was the first time the plugs had been changed - my cars on 40k - so they needed some persuasion to unscrew.

might have to invest in a universal knuckle attachment - could come in handy for all sorts of things /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gar thank you for your invaluable advice.
I have now renewed all four plugs.
For anyone interested, accessibility to plugs 2 and 3 is improved if you remove the electrical connectors to injectors 1 and 4. These are mounted on a plastic rail which appears rigid but it is actually quite flexible. These can be taped up out of the way. It is also possible to rotate the injectors for more access. (Be careful not to damage the injector seals).
Also it is easier to do this job in good daylight conditions even if you have a well lit garage. It really is fiddly. No special tools are required but you will probably have to initially check out if the tools you have will fit and make any adjustments or purchases as necessary.

Hey gar are you browsing this site on a screen the size of a PDA mate ?

Sorry guy's,i have to get used to this posting lark. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/book.gif