Self servicing

VAGMAN1

Reaction score
I've got a TDI (110) on W plate/2000, which is coming up to it's next service.

The mileage is approaching 140K and I'm really starting to wonder if getting the car serviced by Audi to get the magic dealer stamp is really going to effect the value, in light of the mileage. My thoughts are save the £300 the next service will cost and do the service myself. What are other people's thoughts on this?

The other thing is that the car is on AVS service plan. As far as I know, only a dealer/someone with access to diagnostic kit can reset the service to AVS and also interogate what the car needs to have done - is this right?

Lastly, if I quit AVS (and yes I know most people hate AVS!!!!) what type of service should I start with - a 20K service? i.e. all filters changed and full inspection.

Dealers seem to have the motoring public brainwashed on this subject.
If you are competent to do your own servicing then start doing it after the guarantee period is up. Just keep good records. For example keep a log of all work done and all receipts for parts and oil.
However, nowadays there is the DIYer's dilemma. That is which damned oil to use and how often to change it. The way oils are being marketed is not helpful. In view of this why not just stick with AVS and the recommended oil spec. I know this is not popular with many so called experts but personally I think VAG have actually come up with the solution to to this problem. When to change oil should not be an arbitrary decision. It should be based on sound information gathered and assessed against known criteria by your car's computer. The fact that your car has done nearly 140K demonstrates that AVS actually seems to work.

I was considering doing something similar on my S3.

My dads a mechanic, so was going to change the air/oil filter.. change the oil.. replace the plugs and give it a general check up.. and then book it in at Audi to do the haldex oil/filter and get the booked stamped and service indicator reset..

should save some cash..

Does anyone know what happens if you just change the oli and filter ?
Does it screw up the AVS indicator ?

Kalv - I very much doubt any Audi garage is going to stamp the service book unless they do ALL the work a service involves.

MattS3 - you can change any filters, plugs etc etc and it won't effect the service indicator - you have to physically reset the service indicator. You can reset it yourself for standard interval servicing i.e. 10 and 20K intervals, but for AVS you can only set it up to 10K on variable countdown (as far as I know). To reset it up to 20-30K you need diagnostic tool.

[ QUOTE ]

MattS3 - you can change any filters, plugs etc etc and it won't effect the service indicator - you have to physically reset the service indicator. You can reset it yourself for standard interval servicing i.e. 10 and 20K intervals, but for AVS you can only set it up to 10K on variable countdown (as far as I know). To reset it up to 20-30K you need diagnostic tool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent, thanks for the info. Always like to change the oil on a turbo'd car every 6k, least i wont need to take it to a dealer for that. ( I'll just do Audi dealer for the AVS servicing and keep the book stamped)
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

How can you reset the service indicator yourself ? Might just do all the work myself (keeping receipts) and reset it?

I might ring up audi myself and check.. beechwood by me have messed me around ALOT.. so might stress them out and get them to do it..

worth a try..