Coilovers - JOM help?

BradHatton

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently had my JOM coilovers fitted by National Tyres & my first impressions were great..
Good sturdy ride, hadn't heard a peep from them, nice and low.. But too low, to the point I couldn't get over my driveway gate stop. So I took at my c spanner and raised the adjusters at the front, then as soon as I got in my car and pulled off, clunk, knock, rattle..

The fronts don't make a lot of noise, but I hear the spring moving about and clunk when the front end is raised or I drive over a big bump, but from my rear drivers side arch is a constant rattling sound, quite loud too.. But nothing from passenger side. I took it back to the garage and they had a good look around, gave all the columns a shake and noticed nothing... but he double checked everything and put a washer on a certain bolt just under my arch liner to stop it coming loose and causing a rattle but it made no difference whatsoever, does anybody have any idea what it could be?

And please don't tell me it's because they're JOM budgets, I'm well aware that they don't have the best reputation & you get what you pay for, but Im wondering why they were completely fine until I touched the adjusters.

Thanks!

Add some Slicone sealer on the top of the adjusters. Then try them out. Mine made noise 2.
My fronts creaked when it was level with the arches, had to raise them 1 finger gap, now its much better.

Add some Slicone sealer on the top of the adjusters. Then try them out. Mine made noise 2.
My fronts creaked when it was level with the arches, had to raise them 1 finger gap, now its much better.

Don't fancy the idea of putting silicone on my adjusters tbh mate :(

possible causes for those types or noises are: worn drop link and worn top mounts i always replace both when renewing suspension

cheers chris

Just wait for a while and see if they settle. It might simply be the springs reseating themselves correctly after you have had it jacked up.

I had JOM's on for a year and had absolutely no complaints at all with them.

As an idea for the rear, check that the rattle isn't the spring platform moving around (I had this with the KONI's on my TT). I know the JOM's don't have a bolt to hold it still, so it might be the case - again though, my JOMs were fine.