IE Tuscan rods.

ReDBull

Reaction score
I planning on re building my engine next year. Hopefully (if I can find one!) with a large port head and relentless manifold. I've been looking at different rods and the Tuscan rods have been mentioned in a couple of threads. I know they haven't been out long but wondered if anyone had any experience or opinion on them?
Connecting Rods | Audi, VW Connecting Rods | Integrated Engineering
I guess with the level of power I'm looking at the wieght saving over the regular rife drilled rods is the biggest advantage. At only a $100 (£63 at the minute) premium over the standard RD rods they look like there worth a go.

Non rifled rods FTW..... go hardcore....;)

Seriously if you can afford it get the RD ones if not its no biggy non RD ones will be fine...dont listen to all the bull****!

Seriously if you can afford it get the RD ones if not its no biggy non RD ones will be fine...dont listen to all the bull****!

Pfft don't listen to Dave you have to have RD rods for maximum penis growth....

Like Dave said if you can afford it get RD ones if not sure it will be fine. There's plenty of people that use them on here and have no issues

its not f*cking bull**** dave - *** man

see as many as i do and you would realise those of us saying RD are saying it for a fecking good reason!

Thanks for replys everyone. I'm defiantly going RD as it's my daily and I'm planning on keeping it long term. I just wondered what people thought of the Tuscan rods. Bill I see you sell I.E rods have you used these ones?

5 years on NON rd and my car still has not got black death, and women don't cover little childrens eyes has i drive by...

Are drilled rods weaker then.....:whistle2:

Thats all im saying.....:lmfao:

can someone explain what rifle drilling is?? sorry........

OE rods have a drilling up the centre to feed oil to the small ends... aftermarket rods come in two flavours typically... non drilled rods that rely on the splash lube from the oil squirter's and drilled rods (rifle drilled) that have the feed to the small ends...

Non drilled rods have a tendency to increase the wear of both the pins and the small ends and splash lube is not anywhere near as good as having the oil piped to it...

There have been several cases of small end wear and knocking from non drilled installations... the main problem is that drilled rods are a little bit more expensive... roughly $25 per rod as a rule...

There are those that can't see the issue with non drilled and others that can't see why you wouldn't fit drilled rods... small end wear etc could be subjective but have seen more cases of wear than not with them and for the extra cost why wouldn't you have a rod that 'actually' lubricates the small end (as VAG intended) rather than rely on a splash lube that is really designed to keep the bores lubed...

Essentially you increase the risk of small end bearing wear with non drilled rods over drilled rods but the wear is subjective and you could go 5 years with no issues or (in my case) 12 months... when I fitted mine there was no pitting or obvious wear to the pins so no reason to doubt they would work... they were fitted to the right tolerances and yet I ended up with a rattle... maybe I was unlucky, maybe it was the oil pump or strainer as I hadn't done those (both were replaced after the rattle occurred to see if this was the case of the rattle)

Your choice at the end of the day...

<tuffty/>

Cheers andrew, seem to have a bad rep with the scooby guys so thats why i thought id ask, so eagle are ok then!

5 years on NON rd and my car still has not got black death, and women don't cover little childrens eyes has i drive by...

Are drilled rods weaker then.....:whistle2:

Thats all im saying.....:lmfao:

Its not a question of strength - *** Dont be so fecking daft... Tw@tish comment.. and you know it

Its lubrication to small end... and small end pin wear and subsequent rattle - to spell it out in simple terms

Lack of the above from non RD rods..

simples.

fit what you like to your own car, but to give incomplete and poor advise on the forum for others to read is plain Stupid Dave

Makes no odds to me, but the Sound Advise based on Experience is go RD...

End of..

I dont find your comments funny or amusing Dave btw.. Seriously.. I dont.:banghead:

If you going to do a heart transplant you would want the best equipment.......

If I'm making a cockail I want the best ingredients let along a heart transplant! I'd also want the best surgeon to perform the operation which is why Bill is so busy I guess.
Doesn't look like anyone has any experience of Tuscan rods then lol;)

I've got Tuscan rods and l have to say they're amazing they've done about 10 rotations and they've not bent and there's not any sign of any sign of small end wear either yet....what a bonus ;)

I've got Tuscan rods and l have to say they're amazing they've done about 10 rotations and they've not bent and there's not any sign of any sign of small end wear either yet....what a bonus ;)

Lasted better than I'd have expected,:haha:

Reactions: StaceyS3
Wow they must be good I'll be buying some ASAP then :rock:

If I'm making a cockail I want the best ingredients let along a heart transplant! I'd also want the best surgeon to perform the operation which is why Bill is so busy I guess.
Doesn't look like anyone has any experience of Tuscan rods then lol;)

tuscan rods are IE's premier offering... and said to be stronger..
now whether stronger is actually relevant or not is debateable.. how much would you want? lol
they only come in RD form I believe

quality rods..