Its happened again (how do i put it back) ?? :-(

A3 T

Lord Of The Rings
Reaction score
Came out to the car today to find this:

Will i need to take the bumper off?

From what i can see its just the two bolts at the top (marked red) and one down the bottom (marked blue), the two red one are easy enough but i cant see how i would get to the blue one even with the bumper off.

As always thanks for any help given ;)

I'm not sure if there is tabs on the bottom of the headlight,if so you will need the bumper off.I think there is a thread for fixing them

Use a long torx bit. i use one of those cheepo rathet screwdriver sets with a bendy extension, or a 1/4 drive ratchet and extension.
Youll need a new light, or rebuild the old unit, i have a few spare parts i think if you go the rebuild way.

bumper needs to come off to fit the light

Dont forget the clip on the inside of the headlight, the white part attaches to the front member, the light slots into it.

You will need to take the bumper off to replace it, yes.

Rotten luck mate.

Thanks for all the replies ;)

Is it just the one marked in blue that needs to be done with the bumper off ?

72909432.jpg

A3 T:1698089 said:
Yup.

You know how to tak the bumper off?

Nope.....lol

Is there any guides floating around ?

No there isn't

You need to remove all of the torx screws in the wheel arch liners, all of the torx screws under the front bumper lips and you need to press through and remove the clips on the slam panel.

Starting from the arch pull the bumper out at the sides and forwards, it will literally pop off.

the red bit is the problem, its to locate the light, and the bumper needs to be off. you may get away with doing one side only.
Theres 3 torx up on the bottom of the wheel arch, the older models dont have these so i left 2 a side off!

Dont forget 2 x 10mm bolts under the middle of the bumper. the temp senser if u have one, twists and pulls out of the grill.

Thanks guys ;)

I had a quick look at it today and i was thinking.....

Do you think i could get at it if i took the screen wash bottle out or is that a pain in the a** to take out as well ?

Thanks guys ;)

I had a quick look at it today and i was thinking.....

Do you think i could get at it if i took the screen wash bottle out or is that a pain in the a** to take out as well ?

No, you couldn't. Just man up and get on with it.

x

no need to take the bumper off.I have done it before.

Then you either did it wrong and there are screws missing, or you did it the long way round.

I could take the bumper off, remove the headlights and refit it all back together in under half an hour with time to have a cuppa and take some pictures mid way. Prawn has famously had the front bumper off and the lights out of his car in literally 5 mins.

I've had the lights out of my various A3's 3 times now, and had the bumpers off more times than I care to remember chasing boost leaks and the like. There is no other way that doesn't involve cocking about like a muppet and wasting time.

the 1 in blue above is a hold you can get to it that way same as the B6

the bolt circled in blue
look above you can get to it through the hole above with a long reach bar

thats carling for ya

Yeah man up! It's not difficult to take the bumper off.

Facelift defo need to remove the bumper.

I think the part number for the top-lug repair kit is 8L0998121, or look on ebay.

Looks like the third/bottom/blue-marked lug is broken off the headlight housing????? Is there part of the headlight still attached to that bolt?

Tips:
Have something nice to rest the bump on in front of the car when you take it off. Tarmac appears to really f*ck up the paint when you drop and scrape your bumper on it ... who knew!?
Use a small torx key rather than a screw driver - it will fit between the wheel and arch and means you don't need to turn the wheels to get space for a long screwdriver.
It is really easy just take your time.

Then you either did it wrong and there are screws missing, or you did it the long way round.
eehm no...
no screws missing and the headlights sit where they shoud ,and how they shoud,so i gues i did it the right way..
im only saying that it is possible to be done without taking the bumper off

eehm no...
no screws missing and the headlights sit where they shoud ,and how they shoud,so i gues i did it the right way..
im only saying that it is possible to be done without taking the bumper off

So how did you get at all the bolts mate ?

Did you need to remove anything else to get access to them ?

So how did you get at all the bolts mate ?

Did you need to remove anything else to get access to them ?

72909432.jpg

to take the headlight off lossen,take off the two screws on top,then the one higlighted with the blue circle.then push outer side of the light(closer to wing) out a bit.after that just grab and pull out.the white plastic bit(red circle close to the grille will give up easily.
to put the headlight back just do theese steps backwards. start with the white plastic bit(grille side) conect the wires for the indicator push the light in place put the 3 screws back,align the headlight to sit nicely then just tighten all the screws.

in order to get access/reach the one on the bottom/wing side (blue circle) you will need an extension for the screwdriver and patience...
I ain't a mechanic,practical type.so if I managed to do this it can't be that hard.... :cool:

Quick update....

I managed to fit the headlight back without taking the bumper off :)

Here's the tools i needed:

img0144tc.jpg

And this is where you can gain access to the bolt i marked in blue:

img0136edit1.jpg

You can even see the bolt in this picture:

img0140edit2.jpg

What i did was first i slotted the headlight into the white bracket then i put the bolt onto my magnetic pick up tool and navigated it through the hole circled in green, then i used my long screwdriver to keep the bolt in place so i could pull off the pick up tool, then it was just a case of doing up the bolt using my extension.

Thanks for all the help guys ;)