RNSE - Sat Nav Issue

g00se

Reaction score
Hi all,

My sat nav only works every now and then.. when i bought the car it didnt have the original audi nav disk in it (it had a burned disk copy), and over a year or so it started to only work every now and saying "unreadable disk".

I punted for a new 2012 copy on eBay, and that only works every now and then too.

I also bought and tried to run thru a CD/DVD cleaner disk, but its v.hard to play it through as you cannot control the nav disk player, so it doesnt seem to play the full cleaner disk all the way.

Any ideas what it might be??

Ta,

goose

It's not unknown for prolonged use of a copied DVD to overheat the laser, which means it can read (single layer) CDs OK but cannot reliably read (dual layer) map DVDs.

Sounds like that may be your problem, and I'd suggest you get a replacement DVD drive - try Haaggie or rabbit on Audi Forum (or maybe NHN on here can help?).

It's not unknown for prolonged use of a copied DVD to overheat the laser, which means it can read (single layer) CDs OK but cannot reliably read (dual layer) map DVDs.

Sounds like that may be your problem, and I'd suggest you get a replacement DVD drive - try Haaggie or rabbit on Audi Forum (or maybe NHN on here can help?).

Great - will do.

Cheers PD.

goose

Give the laser head a clean mate, this also gets crap on it over time that a lense cleaner wont fix, cotoon bud & a dab on your tip of tongue will do it, done it plenty of times & fixed a fair few.

Give the laser head a clean mate, this also gets crap on it over time that a lense cleaner wont fix, cotoon bud & a dab on your tip of tongue will do it, done it plenty of times & fixed a fair few.

sorry for being thick NHN, but how do i get it out and apart to do the cleaning? or would i be best paying someone to do this?

thanks,

goose

Cotoon bud lmao, oops.

Well tbh if you're not experienced in this then maybe an idea to use someone else or a friend with some experience, no offense you understand, I can do this for you & if its the laser head can always buy a new head or drive & change, PM me if of interest :)

But, should you feel the need, remove radio with relevant keys, take the top of with 1 big screw on each side & 3 small screws on the top, once lids of, you'll see drive, hopefully encased in a plastic clear housing, if not then this maybe why laser head is so dirty, maybe, top left corner should have a little route through into mechanics too reach in with a very minimal damp tongue dabbed bud head & wipe the laser head which should be clearly seen in the middle round motor part, looks like a small glass eye as such, when wiped a few times, turn bud round & wipe again with the dry end, test unit in car with lid still of to make sure all ok & then refit accordingly, make sure no bud (no jokes) fluff is left on the drive head, if you turn the bud inbetween your clean fingers like wounding before rubbing the head then no fluff will come of it.

HTH's

Reactions: g00se
Cotoon bud lmao, oops.

Well tbh if you're not experienced in this then maybe an idea to use someone else or a friend with some experience, no offense you understand, I can do this for you & if its the laser head can always buy a new head or drive & change, PM me if of interest :)

But, should you feel the need, remove radio with relevant keys, take the top of with 1 big screw on each side & 3 small screws on the top, once lids of, you'll see drive, hopefully encased in a plastic clear housing, if not then this maybe why laser head is so dirty, maybe, top left corner should have a little route through into mechanics too reach in with a very minimal damp tongue dabbed bud head & wipe the laser head which should be clearly seen in the middle round motor part, looks like a small glass eye as such, when wiped a few times, turn bud round & wipe again with the dry end, test unit in car with lid still of to make sure all ok & then refit accordingly, make sure no bud (no jokes) fluff is left on the drive head, if you turn the bud inbetween your clean fingers like wounding before rubbing the head then no fluff will come of it.

HTH's

Awesome advice mate.. I did exactly as you said above and all seems to be working again!!

Now i need a long drive to really test it out - full tank of vPower here we come!!

cheers,
goose