Few questions about the diesel 170bhp version

Morells

Reaction score
Hi everyone I was just looking for a few answers to a few questions
1) what sort of tuning can be achieved I.e. figures
2) are there any issues that occur I.e. any common faults I should know off before buying?

Thanks

Hi there. Typical figures for the 170 are Stage 1 - ECU remap to 200bhp is £349. The 170TDI is a very good car and has no real major faults. It can be plagued with the dreaded DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) problem if the car is ONLY being driven for short journeys. If this is the case then DPF removal is the way forward. If your doing long journeys then this shouldnt be a problem as the DPF system is getting a chance to regenerate (system self-cleans) Have you ever been following a modern diesel when all of a sudden a large puff of black smoke comes out the exhaust......this is it cleaning itself. It will only do this when the cannister is full and the car meets certain parameters such as in 5/6th gear at a constant speed for a certain amount of time.

Dont let this put you off buying a 170 as not all of them develop this problem.......its just something that is becoming more common.

just had my DPF removed and a full turbo recon also performance remap cars back now and believe me its awesome now it was a beast before but now its god like.....remap that biatcha...

Reactions: Brodster
Hi everyone I was just looking for a few answers to a few questions
1) what sort of tuning can be achieved I.e. figures
2) are there any issues that occur I.e. any common faults I should know off before buying?

Thanks

We have a 170TDi 2010... Tuning is as Brodster says...

As for problems, depends on what age car your looking at as they changed from PD engines to CR (common rail) in 2010. The common rail engines are more refined. The PD engines were recalled for injectors. All 170 cars of both types of engines have the DPF filter. Our car only get short journeys generally with the odd longer one at the weekend and have never had any issues with the DPF light coming on...

just had my DPF removed and a full turbo recon also performance remap cars back now and believe me its awesome now it was a beast before but now its god like.....remap that biatcha...

And presumably when the UK MOT changes to require a DPF on all diesel engines registered after a certain date, as is already the case in several EU countries, you will have to pay to have it put back.

no, the dpf is still there, ive been told that if the dpf becomes part of the M.O.T. it will only be a visual check and mines still there just all the insides have been taken out DPF,s are a waste of time total crap no need for them to be there just something else to go wrong its just a matter of time with DPF,S they will go wrong or need replacing at some point and thats at a cost of £2000+ take em off remap that biatcha and join the god like club....

no, the dpf is still there, ive been told that if the dpf becomes part of the M.O.T. it will only be a visual check and mines still there just all the insides have been taken out DPF,s are a waste of time total crap no need for them to be there just something else to go wrong its just a matter of time with DPF,S they will go wrong or need replacing at some point and thats at a cost of £2000+ take em off remap that biatcha and join the god like club....

I sure you know far more about DPFs and the value to the environment that all the EU and Audi car engineers. Just out of interest it costs a lot more to replace the catalytic converter on a petrol engine that the DPF on a diesel. So far I am on my fourth A3 with a DPF, two 140s and two 170s and not had a single DPF problem with any of them. I also go on holiday with my A3 to Germany a couple of times a year and without a working DPF I would not be allowed in to most German cities.

You car is now illegal to drive on the roads in the UK. You car came into the country on the basis of a Type Approval which included the car having a DPF to meet the appropriate EU standard for diesel engines. By removing the DPF your car no longer complies with that Type Approval and is therefore not allowed to be driven on UK roads. It's just the same as cars that are fitted with aftermarket Xenon headlights.

most people arnt that bothered about the enviroment or care what the eu/europe decides or thinks of x,y and z.

dpfs are fine when working and being used correctly. but the fact is when they doooo go wrong and get overloaded with soot they need replacing, and its just not possible from a value point of view to do so, this will only get worse as these cars get older. say when theyre like 12/15 years old and worth £1500/1800 and still a perfectly good car. they'll be getting scrapped cus it needs a £2000 dpf job doing. then the associated enviromental damage/impact of them making a whole new car.

half of dpf problems stem from fault exhaust pressure sensor (g450). even if theres no fault code for it when the light comes on.... if its never been changed then get the g450 replaced and adapted then try a forced regen via the diagnostics.

the environment? sod that cows do more harm than all the cars on the planet