my motor's mgot a daft tick over

saxonblue

Reaction score
:huh: God know why, but my car seems to have developed a fault, nothing is showing up on my dash. or the scanner, but its started to tick over a bit on the high side - 1200 ish rpm at some points, now this has never happend before and the car always runs fine and ticksover at about 985-1000, witch it dose when i first start it up, it will sit there all day ticking over at just below 1000rpm untill i drive the thing. then it seems to creep up to the 1200 rpm range?????
last thing that poped up on my good old memo skanner odb scaner thing was the car was runing to lean at bank 1. its had a new set of plugs and a new coil pack, pluss new valve cover gaskit etc since and was runing fine, no lights, no miss fires, nothing, now its runing fast and theres a smell of burning oil every now and then as well........ this duznt happen to my motor,,, i am confused as to what it could be, no leaks, no old oil anywhere to cause the smell, nothing showing up on the obd. or the dash:ermm:
i cant put my finger on it.. any ideas floks??

Oh yeah, did u change the gasket because ther was an oil leak there?
Also any oil in the spark plug wells?

Yup check all vac pipes, they will have more than likeley be past there sell by date

pcv system?

tried pulling the dipstick any suction?

the dip stick seems fine?
there was oil down the spark plug wells, that spark plug gasket has been sorted at the same time as i did my rocker cover,,,
i never gave the pipe work a thought:keule:, cant beleive i forgot about a vac leak. i wll give them a good going over now, i have seen a few dodgy cable ties and jub clips here n there now i come to think of it... doooooo what a fool, i never gave it a though!!

saying that though, if its not the case i am stuffed,,,,:ermm:

If its a manual gearbox & you spend a lot of time in traffic, it could be as simple as your driving style has been learned by the ECU and needs a reset.

I know you said the dipstick seems fine,so there is no suction through the dipstick. Just to tick that off the list.

Ok, the symptoms I had were: reving high when stopped in traffic and a little oil in plug wells so pretty much the same as yourself.
An easy fix(in my case anyway)
I think the oil in the spark plug wells is caused by a faulty breather valve.
Its under the manifold and is easy to locate if u move the coolant reservoir and also pop off the plastic engine cover.
There are two lines connected to manifold on the right hand side.
Follow the lower down to a t-piece.
This is where my faulty valve was.
It is black with a green stem.
I needed a new jubilee clip aswell:
Valve costs less than a tenner.
Mine was doing my head in.
I was trying to find the leak for ages.
But in the in end it was a 15 minute job.