Engine Number

a8tdi

Reaction score
I have a B6 A4 awx engine. Can anyone tell me where i can find the engine number? Log book shows as unknown..

service book

Thanks Bez...Need to go hunting for the book...

On my v5 the engine number is unknown!

Does anyone know where it would be stamped on the engine?

Does anyone know where it would be stamped on the engine?

On mine I have a sticker on the drivers side in the engine bay, just behind the air box parts. Not sure if the engine number is on there, but worth a try?

Yes, i have that bit but it shows the chassis number but don't know if it also shows the engine number. Can you tie any of the numbers on the sticker to the engine number on your v5?

Yes, i have that bit but it shows the chassis number but don't know if it also shows the engine number. Can you tie any of the numbers on the sticker to the engine number on your v5?
Give me 5 mins and I'll check

Thanks, much appreciated..

Unfortunately no, can't see anything that matches it up. Also looked in my service book and mine just says AVF on engine number/code, doesn't give the whole number. Sorry mate.

Thats fine..I have found a sticker under the carpet in the boot which contains the engine number..Can you tell me, on your v5 how many numbers is in the engine number? And also does it include the engine code? I appreciate your help...

Thats fine..I have found a sticker under the carpet in the boot which contains the engine number..Can you tell me, on your v5 how many numbers is in the engine number? And also does it include the engine code? I appreciate your help...

Includes AVF then there are 6 numbers

Thanks, you have been an excellent help..Hopefully i can return the favour one day..Cheers

been nosey why do you need it ?

I am selling my car and the v5 states engine number as unknown. I would like to get this changed prior to selling the car.

My brother had a vw bora 2003 plate and we checked this out on his car as log book had unknown foe engine number and it stemmed from the car originally being imported in through these large car supermarkets.... The warranty was also void apart from a 1 year from car supermarket... The full info wasn't on the v5 because of this according to vw and dvla....

Thanks for that, actually in the past when I have ordered parts the parts guys do ask me if my car is an import. This could explain the engine number unknown. Could the dvla change your brothers log book?

Just asked him and we wrote a letter to them stating the correct engine number from the engine block, this was 9 years ago doubt there that helpfully these days lol....the way we was told to check if it's an import was there's 2 dates on the log book at the top... If the dates are the same it's a import if there different its a normal German import.. Because the date of manufacture and date 1st registered should be different once again I can't say this is the case for everyone but dvla talked us through it at the time.... Hope this sheds a bit more light for you...

My log book has two dates, first registered and first registered in UK. Both are the same. Thanks for your input, I am going to call dvla tomorrow..

As stated I'm 99% sure it means imported if the dates are the same... Due to they can't answer the info for some reason....