drivers side window help needed

S3_chris 11

Reaction score
Whilst driving down the road today in this lovely weather i put my drivers side window down, it went down no problem but coming back up was. it would go up part of the way then stop and go back down, managed to get it up pushing the switch and guiding the window up.

Is it the regulator or the motor? :s totally stuck here guys and dont wanna start pulling things to bits without knowing what it is

Any help appreciated

many thanks

Regulator, start by taking it all off and greasing the mechanism up, if that fails its a replacement unit.

Now if your handy with a screw driver then either a passenger side or drivers side will work, the housings are different but the internals are the same so you can swap them over, that's if you can't find a drivers side unit, which you probably will!

Am in the middle of making a guide will post it later exact same happened to me couple of days back :) Allways happens in nice weather lol

many thanks guys, saw some repair kits on ebay, anyone used these or have u just gone and got a new/second hand one?

a guide that will be handy and will wait till youve done yours to give me an insight

Just buy a new slider that attaches to the rail each side of the regulator. The ones for the A6 work, about £2 each from Audi and pink from memory as opposed the green ones on the A3. A3 ones are plastic whereas the A6 ones are plastic coated metal. Can get them on ebay or dealer is actually cheaper i think.

When you take the frame off the door mark the position of the frame relative to each of the 4 bolts. There are also wedges between the frame and the door, mark these too before undoing the bolts so it all goes back in the same place as it is adjustable.

Fairly easy DIY job.