Noise from rear at speed and/or high revs

tom barker

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm a noob to working with cars so I apologies in advance for the vague question, I'm looking for some support in identifying the problem I'm hearing rear of the car - it might be a common fault although I can't find other examples on the forum.

The noise sounds rotation related, not a clunk, more of a fizz, only noticeable either at speed 70 mph+, or accelerating while cornering. Haven't managed to identify which side it is yet - Does this suggest it's suspension related?

I recently changed the rear disks and pads - is this a sign of me having done something wrong?

I can look at recording the sound, although it's not very loud.

Any advise on where to start with the fault finding exercise would be great.

Cheers,
Tom

May it just be tyre noise?
My tyres make a "sound" /noise at some speeds, and on some roads?

Sounds like wheel bearings bud, I know they create more of a noise when cornering

As Cloghy said it may be wheel bearings! Is it like a Droaning noise? I literally had this problem the past month, went local garage and Audi Bolton and they both said it was tyre noise and i needed new tyres....

After searching on here and reading other threads with same problems, i was 80% sure it wasthe bearings.... so i jsut risked it and got both rear bearing changed, £400 - Worked a treat, noise has gone!

Cheers guys. I've been thinking similar re wheel bearings but the thought of £400 puts me off a little :). I'll have a shop around.

Done a little more driving on it and still can workout what causes it. Its not cornering related, does it on the straight then the suspension is on light loads (the crest of a hill etc). The noise is drowning but not continuous.

Just for clarification as there are a number of similar posts on here regarding the Haldex on the AWD S3 which don't apply to my 2WD 2006 A3 2.0 TDI DSG (140 bhp)

Last edited:
Guys,

Still not getting anywhere.....not convinced its from the rear. I've recorded the noise, please see below.

Checked Exhaust mounts, nothing appears loose underneath. Took it for a drive with the Audi Technical - he was clueless, said he would need to book it into the shop.

Any help would be great.

Last edited by a moderator: