Key upgrade to B7

Jine

Crippled n Crazy
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I would like to do the key upgrade but I'm confused as to which B7 key is compatible? the number of my key is 8Z0 837 231 D 433.92MHz

Does the frequency have to be exactly the same??

Thanks in advance guys.

Yes same frequency, I did this years ago on my S4, strangely with new chips it didnt need half programming by germany, although that may have changed, so beware, trying to remember my key number.

You could just remove the old immo chip & plum into the B7 key & programme the remote functions with vcds avoiding dealer completely.

Thanks for the reply.

Thats what I intend to do, swap out the chips as I have 2 keys. But I am having trouble finding a new key with the same freq, the nearest ones I can find are 434 MHz for the B7 key.

Are there any other ways in which will help me find the correct key??

So even though the freq is not exactly the same 433.92 vs 434 I can still use one of those keys???

Sorry if I'm being thick, Just wanna get it right.

According to etka the parts catalogue, the 434 keys are 433.92-434.42

Is there a guide to swapping the chip?

I thought they were fragile and glass coated and firmly held in place. Therefore attempts to remove them from the key destroyed them.

I have broken 1 before, but done a fair few now, you would be best to dremel around it carefully destroying old key & then it should with some stanley blade, come out.

Is there any particular key code I should look for when getting the new key?? What's the letter mean at the end of the code?? Some have D, R, K??

I did mine a couple of years ago now, use a heat gun to melt the glue on your old immo chip and prize out with a pick tool, i also bought new shorter blades from "keys in the post" he will cut you new shorter blades from a photo of your original longer blade, a worthwile mod in my opinion, i did both mine.

Thanks for the info guys. Mattyboyc do you know the code on your "new" key??

I'm confused into which 1 I need as I've heard that there is an A3 key that has the same frequency and doesn't work.

I did this about 6 months ago, I did pretty much what NHN said - the heating mwethod didn't work for me, so I ruined the old key to get the chip out. (Also looked here) Part number of my key is 8E0 837 220 Q - the letter being the important bit. It says it's 433MHz.

I should warn though that I read something about compatibility with 2002 and earlier cars - but it didn't affect me and I can't find the link to it now, sorry!

Thanks for the info guys. Mattyboyc do you know the code on your "new" key??

I'm confused into which 1 I need as I've heard that there is an A3 key that has the same frequency and doesn't work.

Have a look at my original posts here http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-a4-cabriolet-s4-forum-b6-chassis/94584-b7-key-upgrade.html
it needs to be a A4 key also not sure what age your car is but if it is a 02 as mine was the B7 keys will not work with your convieience module, i had to change mine, i have put a couple of useful links below,
B7 Key Fob for B6 DIY

How to get a B7 key to work with your B6

Audi A4 (8E) Comfort System - Ross-Tech Wiki