Turbo Issues - loads of agro.

Gti Jazz Blue

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Haven't posted on here for a while - been fairly busy at work and found this place too distracting so had to avoid the forum.

Anyway having a mere of a time at the moment, sequence of events :-

Been getting over boost codes, car has done 83K miles and tried last year to clean with Innotech which worked for a while, but started up again recently.

So ordered a recon Turbo for the place that supplies the garage where my mate works (mechanic).

Arrived OK and fitted it a couple of weeks ago, and a short test drive everything seems fine, couple of days later and on a longer run it flagged an under boost. Anyway after a bit of diagnostic work I found that the actuator on the Turbo that they supplied is leaking of vacuum so not holding the vanes in place. So speak to the supplier and get a replacement actuator, which we have now fitted and although this one holds a vacuum OK the car is still flagging under boost codes and going into limp mode (otherwise know in my house as as flat as a fart mode).

No obvious boost leaks, can't hear any and the pipes all look fine, tested the vacuum run to the Turbo from the solenoid block and that is fine.

I've emailed the supplier to see if the actuator could need adjusting and awaiting a reply. In the meantime my mate has been signed off sick for a couple of weeks and can't do any heavy work. So hoping that they don't want to replace the whole Turbo.

So I'm off tomorrow on a business trip to North Wales in a hired Astra (or equiv).

Does anyone have a VCDS log of a good stock BKD (2.0TDi 140 BHP) MAF and requested against actual boost ?

Thanks.

Paul

First thing to check is the wastegate rod adjustment (as mentioned) if thats not been set to the right length it can cause issues.

Also,

Check the pipe work on the intake side of the turbo, you wont hear a boost leak (hiss) from this side but it will also cause you problems if there are any leaks/splits.

Check the vac pipe from the N75 to the airbox for splits etc.

Check the air intake (box & filter) aren't clogged.

Well interestingly just spoken to the guys at the turbo recon firm and they say that the actuator shouldn't be adjusted, as long as it went on fine it should be OK.

I need to do some logging for them. Well at least I know how to break it.

Paul

Well interestingly just spoken to the guys at the turbo recon firm and they say that the actuator shouldn't be adjusted, as long as it went on fine it should be OK.

This is only true providing they adjusted it correctly before fitting it, even a couple of turns adjustment of the rod can make a world of difference between overboost & underboost.

Well my Astra turned into a Corsa 1.4 SE Automatic - the worst combination of Engine / Gearbox I have ever driven. The Astra had its hire extended at the last minute and all they had left was the Corsa, gave me a 10% discount though.

The fun starts later with a logging session this Evening to see what is going on.

Paul

Well a strip down at the weekend of the boost pipes downstream from the Turbo revealed a split o-ring seal. It was the joint at the end of the solid boost pipe. Not enough to be audible, but enough under certain circumstances to trip an under boost code. So a quick trip to our local TPS for a replacement o-ring seal. (almost £5 mind).

It has behaved since, so that is a relief.

Paul

Last edited: