A4 MFSW

Scuttle

Reaction score
Hi

I'm sure this will be covered somewhere, but everything I've looked at refers to retrofitting B7 MFSWs etc.

We just bought a 1.9 Quattro Avant, without a MFSW. The wife now wants a MFSW.

Can I fit a B6 MFSW to our B6 quattro and will all the functions work?

Will all the required wiring already be there?

Many thanks
Scott

B6's and B7's can be fitted... I think you need an extra loom and control unit for the B6, which is probably a DIY job.

I wanted the R8 (leather, flat bottomed) steering wheel, which is the same as the B7 wheels: so it needs a bit more in the way of wiring changes to get the airbag fitted properly and I'd advise that you get somebody who knows what they're doing to fit it.

Sorry I can't provide more exact details, but I got mine done at HazzyDayzUK, their prices are a LOT higher than they used to be: I think they charge about £1200 for the R8 wheel incl wiring & fitting (the wheel is about €900 excl airbag, so probably a fair price).

Just bought a B6 MFSW for £10.50 + £10 p&p. It has the control module with it.

I didn't want to get into the B7 dual airbag issues. Just wanted a simple MFSW to save reaching over to play with the sound system.

"£1200 for the R8 wheel incl wiring & fitting", I've bought complete cars for less than that..... come to think of it, all my cars have been less than that and lasted for years. This quattro belongs to the wife - she lets me drive it if I'm good and I have clean clothes on.

I didn't want to get into the B7 dual airbag issues. Just wanted a simple MFSW to save reaching over to play with the sound system.

"£1200 for the R8 wheel incl wiring & fitting", I've bought complete cars for less than that..... come to think of it, all my cars have been less than that and lasted for years. This quattro belongs to the wife - she lets me drive it if I'm good and I have clean clothes on.

Where did you get that from for that price ? Bargain!

Just bought a B6 MFSW for £10.50 + £10 p&p. It has the control module with it..

Did that include the airbag? It's a bargain either way, but you might still have a a bit more to pay as the airbags are the expensive part and the part that's normally missing (if the car's being broken, it's often from a write-off, which normally means the aitbags hae gone off as that's the easiest way to turn an otherwise decent car into being "beyond economic repair").

That was an eBay bargin. The wife saw it with 2 hours to go. The description didn't state that the airbag came with it but it did say that the pic was what you got. Now the pic showed a 4 spoke wheel with the centre intact which from what I've read is part of the airbag. Even if it's not included, I would hope that the airbag in the 4 spoke wheel that I have would be transferable. I can't imagine that Audi would pay for variations of the airbag on the same model when it's not necessary unless the design engineer was having a really bad day.........

lostbok:1602052 said:
Sorry I can't provide more exact details, but I got mine done at HazzyDayzUK, their prices are a LOT higher than they used to be: I think they charge about £1200 for the R8 wheel incl wiring & fitting (the wheel is about €900 excl airbag, so probably a fair price).

They charged me £750 supply and fit for my S3 FBMFSW, maybe not the cheapest but works a treat and had a 2 year guarantee

Reactions: Inertiauk
Scuttle: I know it's silly money to spend on a 10+yr old car, but it transforms the interior and the price is driven by how much Audi charge for the parts: I paid similar (albeit several years ago) my wheel is similar to the S3 FBMFSW, but in leather and it is now about €900 (which is Audi maths = £900)... and you'd still need the airbag, slip-ring, control unit, wiring loom and an an hour or so to fit it....

Well, I suppose if you've got the money to spare there are many useless items you could spend it on instead. About 5 pairs of the wife’s shoe/boot collection, that sit in their box and collect dust, should get you a new one including fitting..........

Age doesn't matter. My Suzuki GS850GN is 33 this year and my G-Wagen 300GD is 24. Our (her) previous Audi 80 2.6e was 17 (had it for 11 years) and my previous 100's were all over 10 years. Her "new" quattro is 8 years old with 76k on the clock and I am hoping to keep it running for at least another 10 years. Fortunately the wife isn't fashion conscious about cars, they just need to have an Audi badge.

Really?

Have you got the ebay item number for it if available?

I didn't think Audi made B6 MFSW except steering wheels with the tiptronic buttons. :uhm:

When you say you didn't think Audi made a B6 MFSW for amanual box, is that polite phrasing for no they definitely didn't?

The one I purchased is a 4 spoke 6 button. The paddles, if they are present,would probably be hidden from view by the camera angle.

Form what I can make out, the tiptronic has an extra 2 buttons on the uppermost 2 spokes. It was sold as being taken off a 2003 A4 andfitted to the sellers A6.

I have also seen B6 A4s advertised in autotrader as having MFSWs, but thatcould be a copy and paste error........

I'll just have to wait and see what arrives in the post. Either way, if it'sincorrect, I'll find out what it actually is and sell it on. At £20.50,it's worth the gamble.

Here is a pic of the one i bought
attachment.php

Hard to tell from your photo is it's quite small.

I was on the understanding that the B6 were never fitted with a MFSW to control audio etc, just for tiptronic gear changes on automatic cars.

I would pay that for all parts needs and fitting . 750 seems fair, 1200 expensive.

How long ago was that reload? Which parts were needed?

At the back end of April this year, Gareth did me a good deal as I had a few things done at once (steering wheel, iPod interface, cruise control, SDS high and LED rear lights) and went to their workshops for the fitting.

PS Just remembered VAT needs to go on that - robbing government b**tards!:banghead:

EDITED TO ADD: They supplied all the parts (slip ring, control module etc) my original wheel was a standard non-MF one

I'm pretty sure there are OEM B6 MFSW's: look similar to the B5 wheel (pretty ropey)... it was a 4 spoke, even on "sport" models and a little bigger than the B5 wheel...

Hello all,
I have a 3 spoke steering wheel with just the flappy paddle gear changers on it.
My car is a 3.0 V6 Quattro with auto box.
What others parts would I need to make the paddles work?
Thanks for your help.
PS this forum is a mine of useful information.

It's all a bit immaterial now. The seller didn't appear to be happy about letting it go for £10.50 as he apparently paid £75 for it. Anyhow, after 19 days I eventually got a refund and he got bad feedback.