help please. oil pressure light :(

coatesy

poking badgers with spoons
Reaction score
the car is a 1997 1.8T sport AGU

so this morning i checked my oil to see if it was low, it wasn't the oil was at a good level, after 5 mins of driving the oil pressure light comes on. so i pull over check the oil level its just on half way on the dip stick (you know the little groove thing it has on it)

i top the car up with oil and boom it comes back on.

also i noticed everything has reset in my car as in the mpg and the odometer.... i thought this was strange.

iv scanned the car and there is no fault codes.

iv been collecting parts to rebuild the engine and put my hybrid on so if it is a rebuild or oil pump change, im not to bothered could of done with a month or two before i rebuild it but you know how cars are.

anybody shed any light on this the car isn't get driven any more, encase it is a oil pressure fault and i feck the engine.

cheers Alex

Hi did you scan it with full VCDS, sounds really odd that especially with everything being reset. Have you disconnected the battery at all, maybe a faulty oil sensor but then VCDS would pick that up.

Chris.

I haven't disconnected the battery, iv got vcds lite and a Vag scanner thing that awesome gti sell.

The car is currently on the drive not been driven, it does sound a lot louder on the top end kind of like the same tapping that the carbon canister makes but towards the air filter side of the engine.

Also I get the three beeps as the warning light comes on

if it was just the oil pressure light i would say it was possibly a blocked pickup but with everything resetting its a strange one :sorry:

I may be wrong but Sounds like you may have top end starvation. Could be the pickup pipe. Common fault, almost killed mine!! Luckily I pulled over just in time.

cheers guys, any body know where the sensor is maybe i could give it a wiggle, since all my clocks reset its kinda like something has caused some sort of power problem.

but i doubt it will be that easy. top end starvation sounds like the correct answer, with the car having a quite tappy top end...

if any one else can shed light on this that would be awesome.

bit of an update. id read on here that welly had advised somebody to take the oil filler cap off while the engine is running to see if its filling with oil, i did this and it wasn't filling but spiting oil up to the cams, it didn't look like much oil, also once i took the oil cap off it was chuffing out loads of air sounded abit like a train, the air coming out id say would defiantly blow a cardboard box away is this normal.

Dunno mate maybe if oil ain't getting up to the top it's the pump or pickup. Either way don't drive it until someone can shed some light on this. Tuffty pointed me in the right direction and saved me a heap of £££ at the same time as most of the locals where saying my bottom end was shagged and needed a replacement engine.

Agreed pick-up pipe was 1 of the first things I got changed, mainly due to Audis long life service plan I wanted it done more for preventative maintenance.

Chris.

the car is a 1997 1.8T sport AGU

so this morning i checked my oil to see if it was low, it wasn't the oil was at a good level, after 5 mins of driving the oil pressure light comes on. so i pull over check the oil level its just on half way on the dip stick (you know the little groove thing it has on it)

i top the car up with oil and boom it comes back on.

also i noticed everything has reset in my car as in the mpg and the odometer.... i thought this was strange.

iv scanned the car and there is no fault codes.

iv been collecting parts to rebuild the engine and put my hybrid on so if it is a rebuild or oil pump change, im not to bothered could of done with a month or two before i rebuild it but you know how cars are.

anybody shed any light on this the car isn't get driven any more, encase it is a oil pressure fault and i feck the engine.

cheers Alex

It could be as simple as a bad oil pressure sensor, or it could be a bad oil pump, bad bearings or a hundred other mechanical issues.

Did you find the issue and cure, I am having the same issues and similar symptoms from filler cap so interested in your findings mate.
Cheers, Neil

Did you find the issue and cure, I am having the same issues and similar symptoms from filler cap so interested in your findings mate.
Cheers, Neil

This isn't going to be the answer your after but this thread turned in to my build thread, and ended up in me rebuilding my engine and putting a hybrid turbo on lol

But I changed my pressure sensor and oil pump while rebuilding my engine also changed everything so I can't be of any help really mate sorry

That's fair enough, one question though...

Was there any potential top end restrictions or causes that you found in your rebuild?

I'm resigned to a bottom end rebuild but don't wanna do the top if need be.

Thank you, Neil

That's fair enough, one question though...

Was there any potential top end restrictions or causes that you found in your rebuild?

I'm resigned to a bottom end rebuild but don't wanna do the top if need be.

Thank you, Neil

Tbh mate when I took my engine apart it looked brand new bottom end and top end still had the factory hone marks on the bores after 100k lol.

I think it was just the sensor that had packed up, but I wouldnt put money on that with your car just incase you starve the top end off oil.

You could always get a New pressure sensor and see if the three beeps disappears, if not don't drive the car and get a new oil pump.

you could just clean the pick up on the pump but if your pump is tired it would end up been a waste of time.

Yeah, pretty sure it's a new pump, I've had a new sensor and pickup and that didn't help...

Possibly shells, but we will see.

Just need to rule out anything silly like breather system, hockey puck and prv's etc etc

Thanks again!

Well I dropped the sump tonight and was gob smacked!
Here's what I saw...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348605479326250

Not unusual to see one of these blocked, however it is quite shocking when the car is only 50 miles from just having the damn sump off and gauze replaced after it was full of gunk and orange dipstick plastic!

Not a happy chappy... Will be going back to the garage with this in hand tomorrow.

Dilemma now as I was prepared for a new pump but now not so sure.

One other question, I know if you get discoloured big ends then its usually sign of increased friction but what about mains?

The pic below is mine, the centre main is darker than the others... But so is the surrounding area incl the dipstick so is this a sign of heat or an oil return gallery making it look darker?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348605837109598

Thanks folks!

Neil