15mm Spacer+Adjustable Tiebars = Arches Catching !

RAPS3

Reaction score
Website
www.google.co.uk
FYI I've been running with 10mm front (for the brakes) and 15mm rear spacers, with approx a 35mm drop (MTM springs), with OE 18" RSTT's for a while now, with no problems.
Anyway I've just fitted some forge rear adjustable tie bars to get rid of the horrible rear camber, and now the rear wheels are catching the inner plastic arch.

Just thought I'd post up incase anyone else is thinking of going down the same route.

Guess I'll be needing some thinner rear spacers

Sounds like you have set the rear camber to standard - virtually nil.

I have 16mm spacers on BBS RsIIs and am lowered about the same amount, and I have no rubbing issues...although I set the rear negative camber to -1.0 degree per side...I also noticed that at 0.0 degrees it looked mighty close to rubbing.

I would recommend adding a little negative to the rear...try about -1.0 degree to improve the rear end response.
It's worth doing...
Also, after lowering the rear toe will be out...most tell you that it's not adjustable...but it is. Audi can do it but I'm informed you need a special tool...but it is worth doing...I've just had mine 'corrected' back to standard rear toe.

Or you could go to smaller spacers...but as I say, I have 16mm Forge items, and no clearance issues.

The only other thing I would consider is the offset of the wheels:
Are they original RSTTs at ET33?
If so, You should be fine on 15mm spacers with a little rear negative...
If not, and they are replicas with an offset that causes them to stick oit a bit more...that could be the problem.

My OEM RSTT's are definately ET33 if it helps.

Glen - the wheels are OE RSTT's. I've had a nightmare getting the wheel alignment done. I took it to audi after fitting the rear bars and after about an hour and a half of the tech messing on, the service manager came in to say that he couldnt do the set up, as my car was too low!!

Gladly he didnt charge me anything, as he couldnt do the set up. Apparently there alignment gear isnt the best.

I decided to try and find someone with the beisbarth (sp) 4 wheel alignment equipment, as I remember it being mentioned on here, and also both AMD and Star Performance use it, so any "cars too low" issues shouldnt have arisn. I didnt fancy a trek up to fife or down to Bicester.

In the end I mentioned it to one of my friends who works at a local Landrover dealer and he said they had just had the newest version of beisbarth equipment installed and he'd have a go.

He said that he had set the car up back to standard specs but he couldnt the setting bang on.
He said that he hadnt realised the rear toe was adjustable at first until he looked through the data disc for the S3, it showed diagrams of how to set it. (Although there was no mention of a special tool.) He said he had loosened the rear arms, as apparently the holes into the chassis are elongated and thats where the adjustment is. He had tried to move the arms, but he said they were just moving in the rubbers. Obviously it seems this is where the special tool come in. He said he would have a go and thats what he did, so I cant really flame him, he done me a favour as the rear camber was way out. I'm still not happy though so I'll have to get it sorted out, just where is the problem as I dont fancy travelling miles to get it done.

The print out he gave me from the aligment shows the following:-

Rear Camber left = <font color="green"> -1º02'</font>
Rear Camber right = <font color="green"> -0º53'</font>

Rear Toe left =<font color="red"> +0º30'</font>
Rear Toe right =<font color="red"> +0º32'</font>
Front Castor left =<font color="green"> +8º04'</font>
Front Castor right =<font color="green"> +8º07'</font>

Front Camber left =<font color="red"> -1º36'D</font>
Front Camber right =<font color="green"> -0º45'D</font>

Front Toe left =<font color="red"> +0º46'</font>
Front Toe right =<font color="red"> -0º48'</font>

What are your thoughts on the current settings?

P.s did you get the right result with your wheels issue?

you can equalize the front negative camber by moving both bottom ball joints out to the max, the undo the subframe bolts (4) and move the subframe about whilst on the tracking equippment - when they are equal you lock the bolts - that way you get the most front negative camber you can and equal both sides.

i got -1.55 deg each side by doing this. then set toe out again. rear camber can then be set equal, probably about 1deg neg each side.

the rear toe and front caster angles are fine.

Hello Guys

You aggravate toe in to the maximum of its adjustment, which is limited by the standard movement movement range on setting adjustable he rear arms to correct the exxcess negative rear camber to near zero after dropping the suspension. The only fully satisfying solution is to slot the swingarms and grind away some material inhibiting full adjustment. I have done this successfully and will mail you some how to digi-photos if you would like to do this mod correctly. Works great. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

Regards

Stuart

director@gaiaresearch.co.za

sorry to go off topic for a bit but free radical just looked at your pic any reason why your exhaust is on the other side to mine? or do you have the same sticking out both sides?

cheers tony

Hello Tony

Both sides. It is after all a quattro and I am into balance.

Pic attached.........showing the camber too, so as not to get off topic.

Cheers.

Stuart

Sorry, forgot to specify, the setup has 15mm spacers too.

The adjustable arms are custom built, as per the pic.

Oh, by the way, I would put them underneath rather than above, were I do the job again, since I would prefer the forces under hard cornerint to be pushing rather than tugging at the joins.

Regards

Stuart

I know this is off the subject, whats the exhaust system you've got on your 1.8t Quatro?

Hello Keith

Its a dual downpipe-back custom system designed to eliminate drone, yet be free flow.

Pic attached to show comparison with std S3, showing also the difference dropped suspension makes, so its not off topic.

Regards

Stuart

r88per where did you get that vid clip of that bird from?

im in love? lol

I love it when you write a post...get to see her!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif