A3 Vibration Noise

Josh Corrie

Reaction score
Hi there, first post! I'll try and explain the problem as clearly as possible. I have a 2004 3 door A3 2.0 tdi fwd with dsg. The car makes a loud vibration noise (like a graunching/groaning) from the front when you're going along an uneven road with a bit of speed and when the weight lifts off the car. It also makes a quieter grumbling noise when going slower over uneven roads. But as soon as you take your foot off the throttle the noise stops - it only happens when you are using the throttle. My thoughts are engine mount/driveshaft bearings/wheel bearings/cv boot/cv joint/something suspensiony! But the fact that it only happens when the power is on is baffling me! Thanks in advance for your help. Josh

Last edited:
So are you saying it does it under load? IE when you are off boost but trying to accelerate?

Sounds engine relate if the vibration is only happening when you are on the throttle, driveshaft bearings or something similar.

Doesn't sound like a wheel bearing issue. Get a mate to listen to the engine when the car is static, press the accelerator and it might give you an idea what the cause is.

On idle you can't hear anything at all, just sounds normal. Only happens when going along an uneven road when the weight is lifting off the car

Auxiliary Belt tensioner? The noises you describe and when it happens sounds similar when i had to replace this on a previous A3.

Had all of the engine mounts replaced (engine was wobbling like a jelly) and the dual mass flyfeel and the noise is still there! Mechanic said it's not the belt tensioner... Any other ideas anyone?

Last edited:
My best guess would be one (or both) CV joints need looking at. One thing you could try is to listen for the vibration whilst driving round in a wide circle. A bad CV joint will probably sound different when on a partial steering lock. Good luck.

Did you manage to sort this mate?
I've got a similar issue! Vibration/rattling noise while decelerating in gear but only happens about 1100rpm and below! So close to the rpm the dsg changes gear.
First I thought it was a heatshield or something similar come loose and rattling! But after having a look around the engine! Found my gearbox mount to have bags of play? Changed that last weekend but the noise is still there!
Now I'm thinking it might be the driveshaft, the extra play on the gearbox mount caused accelerated wear?
Planning to have a look for play today, if the rain ever stops!

Well my noise turned out to be my DMF.
Doh. Spewed all it's internals over the A50 a few days ago! It's in the garage getting replaced, not cheap!

Hi guys, wondering if anyone has anymore advice for me? My car is still making the f***ing noise after having a new DMF, engine mounts and driveshafts!

I've recently realised a similar issue on my 2002 (8L) S3, I'll be starting a thread in the S3 8L section on this also as it may be a different issue to yours but seems similar in some ways looking at your description.

I sometimes at around 20-30mph hear a whining type of sound seemingly coming from front passenger side unless your steady on the accelerator pedal and hold the speed it whines out after 30mph, I havent noticed it at all at speed, no sound at idle etc?

Any ideas?