HID Bulb Change

quattrojames

Staff member
Reaction score
I've had my HID's in for 3 years now. When I bought them there wasn't the choice there is now, so I went for 6000k as they were the most popular. They've always been a bit too blue for me, and as they get bluer over time when a main beam bulb went last week I decided to swap them.

I bought some 4300k bulbs and 100w xenon look H7's for the main beams from Trups of EM Tuning - all for £20 delivered!

The nearside is 6000k and the offside 4300k in this picture, it's a bit hard to tell, but the 6000k is a lot bluer:

IMG-20120507-00080.jpg

IMG-20120507-00083.jpg

IMG-20120507-00084.jpg

I look forward to trying them in the dark. The mains match the 4300k quite well:

IMG-20120507-00087.jpg

I had 35W 6000k in but the light output was crap so i swapped them for a set of 55W 4300k and the difference is amazing!

I now have the 6000k in my main beam! its like driving in daylight on back roads!

I just fit a set of 35w 4300k lights. No bulb warnings, but I'm getting the abs error occasionally on start up so I'm gonna try ground the ballasts. I'm glad I went with 4300 though, as I think they're blue compared to my yellow lights I used to have.

They look good though James. :) you find the light output much different?

Looks well, one of mine has blown, or its the ballast which I hope it isn't. So I was going to go for 4300ks or maybe 5000ks.
I'm not sure what is in it at the mo, but they are really blue, possibly 8000s!

The light difference is amazing! There's so much more useable light than the previous 6000k's. I'd choose 4300k every time for now on.

I was thinking of 5000k bulbs.
I ripped mine out there to put some standard bulbs in for MOT and the old ones where 8000s. Super blue and not much light output

Last edited:
I'm getting used to my hid's now, it's just a shame it's summer and hardly drive in the dark :) I am glad I went with the 4300's, they're great.

I also slightly relocated my near side ballast, only moved it a few inches and since then I've not had any abs/ brake errors on startup.

I also got around to fitting my LED sidelights, chrome indicators and new main bean bulbs. The front looks great now. The chrome indicator bulbs make the most difference as they give a good effect even when the lights are off.

26d2895f.jpg

bd4caf73.jpg

On a side note, does anyone else's led sidelights flash 4-5 times when they first turn on? My friend noticed it the other day, it's a bit odd.

I'm getting used to my hid's now, it's just a shame it's summer and hardly drive in the dark :) I am glad I went with the 4300's, they're great.

I also slightly relocated my near side ballast, only moved it a few inches and since then I've not had any abs/ brake errors on startup.

I also got around to fitting my LED sidelights, chrome indicators and new main bean bulbs. The front looks great now. The chrome indicator bulbs make the most difference as they give a good effect even when the lights are off.

26d2895f.jpg

bd4caf73.jpg

On a side note, does anyone else's led sidelights flash 4-5 times when they first turn on? My friend noticed it the other day, it's a bit odd.

Your abs error is a weird one lol

I put new indicators in myself too, massive visual difference to thr front end.