Change of thermostat

g60leigh

Reaction score
Just a quick one guys.
Have a mate who ha the AMK engine and needs to change the thermostat.

Looking at it, it is hidden on the front of the engine block.
Hidden behind the alternator.

Is there a trick to getting the housing off and back of? There seems to be no access to the bottom allen bolt.

Cheers

if its anything like an apy, 1/4 drive socket with a knuckle joint does the trick. all other drives are to large and requires alternator removal im led to believe.
good luck

Disconnect the battery and remove the lead off the alternator. It's a 15 minute job then. Easy :)

Yeah definitely need a nice small 1/4 ratchet set and a universal joint. Then it's relatively easy.

Disconnect the battery and remove the lead off the alternator. It's a 15 minute job then. Easy :)

Yup 1/4 inch extension etc. I D/C the battery and remove the alternator lead too.

Also remove the bracket on the inlet manifold that the the dipstick is held by. Be prepared for the dipstick tube to snap - so get a new one (£3) just in case. (If it does snap cover the hole with glove or something)

Liam

I'm surprised you lot found the bottom bolt easy! I struggled with it but found the easiest way for me was with an Allen key as my UJ kept fouling on the altinator an pushing itself out of the bolt

Tbh have not tried it yet. Had a look at it the other day in the pi55ing rain on the driveway. Had a go at getting an allen key in. But left it as did not want to start something that wouldn't be able to finish.
Could get Allen key on no prob just no room to turn it.

I'm surprised you lot found the bottom bolt easy! I struggled with it but found the easiest way for me was with an Allen key as my UJ kept fouling on the altinator an pushing itself out of the bolt

Hehe - the first thermostat I ever changed was on my A3 1.8T AGU, took me 15 mins.

Second time was a few weeks later on my S3. It took me longer to do the thermostat than it took to change the rocker cover and tensioner gasket. FAIL!

It's extremely difficult without the right tools. EDIT : Even with the right tools I can make it look difficult :p

Just make sure you get the thermostat in the right way around, with the o-ring on the correct side - or you'll have to do it again.

Liam