no brake lights ? :/

marshall-12

Reaction score
hi guys,

new to this forum, only had the audi since sunday.
its a 1999 1.8T Sport.

i have a problem, haven't even noticed my brake lights haven't been working, and the more i think about it i cant remember if i have noticed them or not.

went to a mates garage and we checked the fuse and its fine, but still i changed it just in case. i have a warning light that beeps on the dash, bulb with a cross through it. emailed the guy i bought it off and he said the fault has always been there but said they worked..
mate says its the brake light switch? doesnt seem that hard to change over.

has any1 had this problem and solved it?
much apreciated..

Hello and Welcome to ASN,

Defo sounds like its the brake light switch to me as i had this on my S3.

Its easy to swap over and you can get one from the Stealers for less than £20.

You just have to undo the connector on the old switch located above the brake pedal you can see it pushes onto the arm of the brake pedal. You then twist it to remove it and then do the reverse to fit the new switch. It should work straight away but you may also need to clear the fault from the ECU using vag-com to fully complete the job.

Hope that helps

Rob

brilliant cheers dude.

sounds like its a common fault, had a look under there, does seem simple just quite fiddly as the plastic from the dash gets in the way.
but sure ill manage lol

i dont have vag-com though, i have the software from one of my old cars (golf gt tdi) what cable do i need to get for the audi?
cheers

ok all done. was the brake light switch. still says i have a bulb out though. all seem fine. anyone know if im ment to have rear fog lights or just 1?

hmm annoying then. ill wait till its dark and check all bulbs again make sure i aint missed one

I had the same warning light up on mine a while ago, make sure you have the correct bulbs in, i somehow managed to fit 1 bulb in with 1 filment instead of 2 and everytime i braked my front headlights would come on, the bulb was shorting the light circuit, worth checking if everything else fails :racer: