Noob would like some advice please.

danfloun

Reaction score
I'm quickly in need of a replacement vehicle simply because my van is knackered and i'm moving back to a car as i don't need a van anymore. Last car i owned was for 7 years and was the original clio williams. I saw one the other day and thought, god that looks like something from the 90s. Of course it was, and i realised I'm getting old :-(

Anyway, I'm just a bit baffled with the models from simply looking on autotrader.
I'm not looking to mod it, not looking for serious speed and not looking for a diesel.

Questions:
Is there any difference in looks between 1996-2003 models of a particular engine/model se etc.
How crap is the 1.6 petrol?
Are they all turbo'd?
If i get a 1.8, is there a particular year/model i should aim for, or just base it on the usual audi stamps and condition etc?

Thanks
and hello
and goodbye

Danny by the way.

Hi Danny,

First of all welcome to Audi Sport! :)

To answer all your questions;

There aren't any differences in looks on the A3 based on engines, although you have the base models that have the smaller engines in them and they look a bit pants.

The 1.6 isn't a bad little engine, it's widely used and makes mediocre power for it's size and it's relatively economical too.

Not all A3s are turbo'd no, only the 1.8t is. (on the Mk1 (1996-2003) anyway) The 1.8t is used in the A3 1.8t and the S3 quattro. (The S3 being the top of the range A3, hopefully not teaching you to suck eggs)

So to sum up, If you're looking for something economical, but don't want a diesel, then go for the 1.6, If you're looking for something a little nippy get an A3 1.8 20 valve turbo, if you wan't decent handling too, go for the A3 1.8t Quattro (4 wheel drive version) or if you want something totally mad and luxurious go for the S3, which I did and it's the best car I've ever had ;)

Audi do make a 1.8 20 valve non turbo, so if you want the 1.8 then just go for the lowest mileage, with the most service history (they don't have to be Audi stamps) you can afford and one with decent body work and no oil leaks or other obvious mechanical damage from the engine. Another thing to look out for, especially with the 6 speed gearboxes, is difficulty engaging first and second gear, and a whirring noise on deceleration in all gears.

Hope this lot helps!

Ben

Hi Ben,

Thats great thanks a lot.
The one thing that concerns me a bit are turbos... I only usually hear bad things about them, in fact my mates turbo just packed up on his vauxhall van and cost him a a new engine and turbo... Well a dealer reconditioned one but it set him back a fortune.
i've never owned a turbo vehicle and am sceptical as to whether they are more expensive trouble than they are worth.

I can do most work myself, so whats a new turbo cost for a 1.8 and whats the intervals?
One last question; someone on another post mentioned about checking mot advisory info on a vehicle you are going to buy... Is this information now available on a system somewhere like the history is?

Thanks again.
danny

My last A3 got to 250K with no problems, was still running!
I've not heard of turbo issues with these engines, providing they are looked after they go on forever.
The only differences in body is the pre/post face lift models. I prefer the look of the facelift. But if your looking for a nice all round car then the 1.6 as previously mentioned is a good buy, if not you have the 1.8 turbo and non turbo. Personal preferance for myself is turbo but I would be looking at gadgets in the car (climate control etc), decent service intervals and rust on the rood / doors.

All previous MOTS are available online on the direct.gov website. Google it and providing you have the correct reference number you can see all old MOT's and advisories. I did this then replaced everything that was advised on the last MOT.

turbo = deff worth the trouble, well maintained and there will be little, if you do the work yourself even more cheaper..
As in your original question witch is better.. there are a few variables:
insurance
quattro

power, you can get a 1.8t to power that will outrun a standard s3 relatively cheaply...

comfort,,, well you cannot beat an s3 for all the creature comforts

looks,,, some mighty fine A3s on here,,, but the wider arches of the s3 just edge it for many....

if speed/power is not your thing i think the 1.6 or 1.8 will be fine,

and dont rule out the turbo quattro sport....

Thanks guys, that was awesome.
Everything answered, just left for me to choose i guess, oh decisions decisions... If i was 10 years younger it would be the S3 without question, but I have other committments other than cars unfortunately.

Final question then...

Turbos; are they not a replacement part at set intervals? I thought they were!!
I assume there is nothing you can actually do for the turbo other than look after the engine on the whole?

Assuming you get the car with little wear on the turbo, proper warming up of the car and cooling down, and decent quality oil will see it putting a smile on your face for a good few Ks....:icon_thumright:

Final question then...

Turbos; are they not a replacement part at set intervals? I thought they were!!
I assume there is nothing you can actually do for the turbo other than look after the engine on the whole?

No set intervals but they are known to wear and will need replacing in time. Just need to look after it. After spanking the thing you can't just stop and turn the engine off. Ideally you should be toning down the driving last few miles home and then leaving it run for 1-2 minutes at idle before turning the engine off.

It seems like a PITA but it's well worth it to keep the turbo long life.

One thing I didn't mention is my old A3 had lines through the instrument cluster digi display...common fault....the newer doesn't have this so just look out for dodgey dash / volume control on the stereo. I found that out the hard way. Turned the stereo up and it just went to full blast, nearly sh1t myself and drove into the back of someone trying to turn it off!!!

Okay thanks again, great advice there.
Didn't know that about turbos.

Sod about your car, all because of a nob!!

Okay thanks again, great advice there.
Didn't know that about turbos.

Sod about your car, all because of a nob!!

Yeah it was a bit of a sod, but it's how blaupunkt coded the stereo, it's a long explanation but basically the coding fudged it. I sold that car though and now have same but newer and more power

Hi Danny,

First of all welcome to Audi Sport! :)

To answer all your questions;

There aren't any differences in looks on the A3 based on engines, although you have the base models that have the smaller engines in them and they look a bit pants.

The 1.6 isn't a bad little engine, it's widely used and makes mediocre power for it's size and it's relatively economical too.

Not all A3s are turbo'd no, only the 1.8t is. (on the Mk1 (1996-2003) anyway) The 1.8t is used in the A3 1.8t and the S3 quattro. (The S3 being the top of the range A3, hopefully not teaching you to suck eggs)

So to sum up, If you're looking for something economical, but don't want a diesel, then go for the 1.6, If you're looking for something a little nippy get an A3 1.8 20 valve turbo, if you wan't decent handling too, go for the A3 1.8t Quattro (4 wheel drive version) or if you want something totally mad and luxurious go for the S3, which I did and it's the best car I've ever had ;)

Audi do make a 1.8 20 valve non turbo, so if you want the 1.8 then just go for the lowest mileage, with the most service history (they don't have to be Audi stamps) you can afford and one with decent body work and no oil leaks or other obvious mechanical damage from the engine. Another thing to look out for, especially with the 6 speed gearboxes, is difficulty engaging first and second gear, and a whirring noise on deceleration in all gears.

Hope this lot helps!

Ben
What is the issue with the gearbox whirring noise mate, ive had a look and cant find anything, its just started on my 2001 s3

My s3 has done 162k and still going strong on its turbo! But I take care of it. These cars' build quality is very good! The 1.8t a3 is a good car tbh, it was what I was going to get before the s3! My cousins mate had a gorgeous one with cream leathers!

What is the issue with the gearbox whirring noise mate, ive had a look and cant find anything, its just started on my 2001 s3

Same as mine as well! My girlfriend's dad, who is a gearbox technician, says it's a bearing on it's way out, causing 2 gears to rub together, and will need doing as soon as you can afford it. The gearbox needs to come out and go off to be reconditioned or repaired, otherwise it WILL eventually let go... If that happens, you'll need a complete new gearbox.

So any mods you have in the pipeline, put on hold and get the 'box sorted, and while you have the 'box off you may as well change the clutch and check the Dual Mass Flywheel, it should have 10mm play maximum.

Regards
Ben

Same as mine as well! My girlfriend's dad, who is a gearbox technician, says it's a bearing on it's way out, causing 2 gears to rub together, and will need doing as soon as you can afford it. The gearbox needs to come out and go off to be reconditioned or repaired, otherwise it WILL eventually let go... If that happens, you'll need a complete new gearbox.

So any mods you have in the pipeline, put on hold and get the 'box sorted, and while you have the 'box off you may as well change the clutch and check the Dual Mass Flywheel, it should have 10mm play maximum.

Regards
Ben
Cheers mate, ill need to look into it asap, i just layed out 400 beer vouchers for other things too!!

So; I'm think about the 1.8t.
not that its really a concern, as i dont do so many miles these days, but from what i can tell there is little difference in average mileage between the 1.8t and 1.6. Is this accurate in the real world?

Also, i can pick up a 1.6 low mileage car for not a lot, all the 1.8t ive seen have had well over 100k+ on the clock... and most at 1k more than the 1.6. If it came to it, i think i'd sooner have low mileage 1.6 than high 1.8t! Whats others opinion on this?

Ta
Danny

Im going to also reccomend the A3 tdi (PD) 130 bhp 6 speed which is a little cracker and very economical - 40mpgs etc.

A simple remap will put these at 165-185 bhp. I would even say that it is probably as nippy as the 150 1.8t petrol in standard form. I know i have seen off a 150hp z4 in the one pictured in my avatar (huge kudos i know ;)

Cheers mate, ill need to look into it asap, i just layed out 400 beer vouchers for other things too!!

No worries mate, PM me and I'll get you a quote for a recon/repair if you want.

Cheers
Ben