Gear lever not returning to centre

kennymeechan

Reaction score
Hi all

Another little problem with the car, the gear lever doesnt return to the centre on its own.

I tried greasing where it comes out of the g/box but hasn't made any difference.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

does it just flop around in neutrel? if so it could be the spring? if the car you have has this type of setup just speaking from past experiences/

It's not sloppy as such but when you move it from side to side in neutral it doesn't return to the middle as normal.

The TT i'm fixing does this too.

Shove the stick right towards 5/6 or left towards 1/2 and let go and it just sits where you left it.

Mine does the same move it and just stays there, its the change from 2nd to 3rd u have to really move it into the gear not just push up, got to feed it in

i think i might pop the cables off and see if it still does it.

If it does, then its either the pivot on the box, or something internal.

Take the gear stick gaiter off and check the rubber gaiter below. mine started to drop bits in between the two nylon parts and so jammed it up. Session with the compressor and lots of grease later and all back to normal with mine.

Any joy smithy?

I had a look under the gaiter in mine. Looks like someone has tried it before, I can see copper grease about!!! Need to tell the Last owner the gear lever ain't the brakes......

Also looks like lots of black rubber shards everywhere. Could be dried up grease mind you. Gonna take it all to bits over the weekend and get it all cleaned and re-greased with proper stuff.

Is there any replaceable parts under the gaiter??

I had a good look at the lever end today. Looks like someone has deffo been in at it before. The little brass u shape clip has one bolt sheared. It's still in place but can't get it out.

Gave it a good clean and re-grease but still the same. I'm leaning toward it being a g/box end issue. How does the bracket get pushed back out the box when going side to side in neutral?

its internally sprung within the box i believe.

Ah, ok.

I think I'll just live with it unless I need the box off for anything

Cheers all