Octane

Alais DJA

Reaction score
I've been running 99 Momentum in the Audi since i owned it....

The only real options you have are:

97 = BP Ultimate

98 = Shell V-Power

99 = Momentum

Thing is, Tesco in all their wisdom have extremely dodgy pumps. I wont go into how i "proved it " to them....but i decided to put 1/2 tank of Ultimate...

The car genuinly feels more powerful, and i rang previous owner ( as we still speak ) and he said he only ever put BP ultimate in it.....

Is it possible that a car can remember?

No I doubt it. How can a car remember what fuel it's been using?

Thing is, Tesco in all their wisdom have extremely dodgy pumps. I wont go into how i "proved it " to them....but i decided to put 1/2 tank of Ultimate...
Why not? They're meant to be tested on a yearly basis so I doubt they're "dodgy"

Shell V power is 99 isnt it? I think optimax was 98 until they changed it. But i use V-power and when its not available i use tesco 99. Never use BP, car hates it for some reason.

The ECU doen't remember it adapts... higher octane means less chance of detonation and less timing pull so the car will feel quicker..

Shell V POwer is 99 octane, Tesco Momentum seems to contain something that leaves deposits on the plugs... I ran it for a while as its the only garage on the way to work when I use the S3 but after seeing all that crap on my plugs I am back on the V Power

<tuffty/>

The ECU doen't remember it adapts... higher octane means less chance of detonation and less timing pull so the car will feel quicker..

Shell V POwer is 99 octane, Tesco Momentum seems to contain something that leaves deposits on the plugs... I ran it for a while as its the only garage on the way to work when I use the S3 but after seeing all that crap on my plugs I am back on the V Power

<tuffty/>

Music to my ears that!

Mine is standard & I use Sainsburys Super which is 97 because its cheapest :thumbsup:

You should only ever use the best fuel in these cars. Hiding to nothing if you don't.

You don't see athletes eating fatty foods.

I had a '95 1.8 A4 which loved Optimax - I could really notice the difference, my old A3 1.8T loved Optimax - but I had to rag it to notice the difference. My brand spanky new-old S3 - dunno yet I've only had it for a few weeks.

Personally I like Optimax (V-Power). A few tanks fulls through the engine and my cars have always seemed to run better.

My VFR800 VTEC will drink anything I put in the tank - but it's a Honda so will probably run on perfectly on any old cheap cr*p. =)

Liam

I've been running 99 Momentum in the Audi since i owned it....

The only real options you have are:

97 = BP Ultimate

98 = Shell V-Power

99 = Momentum

The car genuinly feels more powerful, and i rang previous owner ( as we still speak ) and he said he only ever put BP ultimate in it.....

Is it possible that a car can remember?

Sainsbury Super is 97 and cheapest

I use sainsburys aswell, its just gone up to 1.37 and v power is 1.44. Tbh my car don't like v power for some reason but runs perfect on Sainsburys

<tuffty/>

Iv been running Tesco Momentum for a year or so now Paul not had any problems, actually seemed to run better than on V power not noticed any deposits either, do you definitely think its down to the fuel.

Chris.

Another here for the V power club. Car feels to put the power down so much better. Can instantly tell when the wife fills up. As she will throw anything in :banghead:

Another here for the V power club. Car feels to put the power down so much better. Can instantly tell when the wife fills up. As she will throw anything in :banghead:

Ban her! Or train her! You cannot allow this to happen. Next thing you know it'll have diesel in the tank and a "oops I picked the wrong one up"

oh mate believe me I try, and only I usually fill the car up nowadays... Cant teach an old dog new tricks as the saying goes ;)

I use tesco momentum in mine, as I seem to always get 5p-15p off per litre from a friend :)...

Spark plugs get changed every 5k anyway as im a service freak.

As for fuelling.. Probally a question for Paul.. If driving Sensibly (as I do on the work run) Rarely over 3k using cruise control (Currently getting 37mpg)...

Is Cheaper fuel an option? - or to stick with the higher octane stuff.

All about cost saving me.. typical in my job.

Not just cost saving mate, your car would definitely not be running to it's full potential on 95 so why use it? (Not sure if my mpg is any better on the good stuff though)

It's the CLASSIC scenario.

Why even consider using cheap fuel to to save 50p!

I had to be "moved on" by security at Tesco at christmas because a complete moron, was filling up his R8, with 95!!!!!

If you cant run em properly, just sell it and get a Corsa

Iv been running Tesco Momentum for a year or so now Paul not had any problems, actually seemed to run better than on V power not noticed any deposits either, do you definitely think its down to the fuel.

Same here, Momentum whereever possible and no plug issues here. There was a spate of Tesco 99 having too much silica in it, which shagged some peopel's lambda sensors - maybe remnants of that?

I had to be "moved on" by security at Tesco at christmas because a complete moron, was filling up his R8, with 95!!!!!

Why? It's hardly like running 95 RON is going to damage the engine to be fair. The engine will just adapt to what fuel it uses so that seems a bit daft IMO.

How do you know he wasn't going to get home and bung an Octane booster in the tank to take it up to 100 RON.

Or maybe he ran WMI and had 110+ octane? lol

So...

Engines do adapt and remember the fuel they use?

The ECU adapts/reacts to the situations that the lower octane fuel bring up... lower octane fuel will increase the potential for timing pull so the ECU will detect this and pull timing as it occurs... std maps are tuned to fall somewhere inbetween so that if used on high octane fuel then timing will normally be pulled only on extreme circumstances but allow the use of lower octane fuel as it is within the range of the ECU ability to pull timing...

Once mapped however the maps are designed for power and therefore higher octane fuel... running lower octane fuel on a remap will normally pull more timing than std and will be more noticeable as a performance drop when compared to the std map...

The ECU remembers fuel adaptions to compensate for air leaks etc...

<tuffty/>

So...

They don't remember. They adapt. Different things.

If someone cut off one of your legs, you would adapt to using just 1. That's different to remembering.

Changes in knock readings from the cylinders define how much timing is added or taken away. Less knock and more timing will be added, giving you additional power.

The higher the octane, the better and cleaner the burn from the fuel. The better and more efficient the ECU will see this from the reduced CFs from the knock sensors, and will slap a bit more timing in. Lower octane fuel will produce the reverse effect.

Alais DJA:1524955 said:
The engine will just adapt to what fuel it uses so that seems a bit daft IMO.

So...

Yes, after a couple of tanks the ecu will adapt the knock sensor to take advantage of the higher octane fuel. A couple of tanks of 95 and it will adapt back to that, with potentially, depending on the engine, a loss of power. It would not, however, 'remember' in the sense you mean, it will merely adapt as necessary