Is it chipped?

WilkoS5

Reaction score
Can I tell visually if my car has been re-mapped?

I bought the car second hand from an independent dealer & history says that it is standard.

It's the only S3 that I have driven so I can't compare the performance. My dad has an A3 1.8T sport which is great fun but when I drove this S3 I just had to have it.

probably the easiest way to tell would be to get it on a rolling road and do a power run. if its between 210 and 230 then its probably standard. 250-270 and its been chipped

Not visually mate but try and find someone with vagcom in your area and they will be able to check using this tool.

It's easy to tell if your car has been chipped. Turn the radio / airconn off....

Get on a clear road and boot it...

You will clearly hear the DV and turbo spooling up...it goes twice as loud as it should do.

Basically, when you boot a non chipped car it hardly makes any noise what so ever. With the chipped it makes a loud woooshing noise as the turbo spins up.

My 1.8T is standard and i can hear my turbo quite clearly

[ QUOTE ]
yeah doing it by ear is not the best way

especially as he admits he hasnt driven a standard s3

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah good point...what I meant was when I had mine chipped, the noise was twice as loud as it was previously. If that makes sense.

hmmm,my car was chipped and i didn't know,it made 245bhp and 244lb/t on one RR and 267bhp and 263lb/t on another.

The best way is to get VAG-COM or your local dealer to use there diagnostic tools and log the boost table whilst the car is being driven.

Before you bought the car you should have walked around it with your hands in your pockets randomly kicking the tyres, this would have told you all you needed to know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. Well it must work cos all prospective car buyers do it!

VAG-COM or RR as already suggested. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

Hi,
This is a question thats also crossed my mind,
after some recent service work the garage said that my car was different in the way it performed compared to a 225 TT mines 1999 S3 ,the TT was quicker initially but was a lot slower in mid range mine only seems to move at about 3000-3500 rpm below that it's a little limp ,no fault codes and it's running ok.
Any thoughts on if it's had a remap.
Merdock