Knocking noise

V8Guzzler

Reaction score
Just had new lower arms and discs and pads on the front a couple of weeks ago. All was ok, now just over the past few days a knocking noise has appeared from the front near side. Sounds suspension related as it is more apparent when on bumpy ground. I have taken it back to the garage and they have had a look but they can't see anything wrong. Anyone any ideas what it could be and what could be a likely culprit?
Cheers

Just had new lower arms and discs and pads on the front a couple of weeks ago. All was ok, now just over the past few days a knocking noise has appeared from the front near side. Sounds suspension related as it is more apparent when on bumpy ground. I have taken it back to the garage and they have had a look but they can't see anything wrong. Anyone any ideas what it could be and what could be a likely culprit?
Cheers

its a minefield when looking for the culprit, i went through the same thing last summer, from what i have researched the culprits can be top arms, bottom arms, drop links, engine mounts, antiroll bar bushes, track rod ends inner and outer and strut top mounts. not to metion gearbox and subframe bushes,snub mounts. However the main ones would be the arms. The drop links are easy enough for a visual inspection. I inspected the arm ball joints while still on the car and you couldnt tell if they had excess play in them. Once off the car they are easy to see if there is excess play as when you wiggle them they will knock in your hand.

Do you know the make of the arms they used. cheap ones do not last as i found out, i used ones they sell at ecp and they lasted 8 weeks

also a scan does not always show a knackered engine mount, the metal on mine was completely torn in two and still didnt show on a scan!

engine mounts knock when setting off and when you take your foot off the pedal to coast more than in normal driving.

Good god... Lower arms are lemforder. On a drive down the motorway earlier, the knocking wasn't there. It's only at Lower speeds mainly over uneven ground. Nothing when turning wheel, or pulling off or breaking... It actually sounded like it was coming from under the middle of the car at time ( front end)

Guess it will just have to go in for a good going over, needs an inner cv boot anyway!

Going in Friday for a poke around and new cv boot... Fingers crossed its driving me mad - I hate knocking noises, or any kind of noise to be honest!!

So had it up on the ramp and near side inner cv boot replaced. I was there watching and helping (sort of) no obvious signs of anything loose anywhere arms, engine mounts, drop links all ok... Road test... Still knocking!! Now what?

The garage reckon not alot can be done until what ever it is breaks completely, as it is next to impossible to tell what it is... Surely not?

They are very hard while still connected to the car to trace which ball joint is slack as you cant get enough leverage to recreate what happens when the engine load is applied, When i did mine it was quite obvious when they where disconnected as you could wiggle them in your hand and the ones that where knackered knocked. The usual culprits are iether the front lower or top rear from what i was advised,

A lot of people i have spoke to have just bit the bullet and replaced the full lot on both sides with the Meyle set with a 4year guarentee, they claim to be better than genuine audi ones. The set is aound 480 quid though

A mate of mine is an mot tester and even on his ramps he can't always find a knock!

He has always said to me wait till it gets worse!

Niche in the market.. Who's up for inventing something and pitching on Dragons Den??

Still knocking... Now I have steering wheel wobble just at 60mph.. But since having new boots just feels strange... Very frustrated!!

I'm guessing wheels haven't been balanced correctly .. Red dot lined up to valve not that should matter?

Been into C&R Enterprises this morning (excellent place if you are in Nottm) they cant find it either! They suspect the rack but can't be sure...

have you checked the steering rack mounting bolts believe these can be quite common on the B6....

Been in again today - problem is the lift is a 2 column so taking all the weight of the car - A friend of a friend has a 4 post ramp with shaker plates - I am hoping by using this method we find the culprit... its getting worse i.e more regular, but not really any louder. It does it mostly now on when there is a change in the road gradient - like a hump (not speed bump) - it knocks on the way down - so as it you were pushing the weight of the car down - anyway I am rambling - I will find it and update you all....

you need to get underneath it and hold each ball joint while someone rocks the steering and rocks the car you will feel it before you see it

The saga continues...

Now the noise is getting louder and more frequent. Upon trying to force the noise - if when moving around 30mph and you wobble the steering from side to side the knocking will co-inside with turning the wheel to the left - but not the right...

Track rod end is what I am thinking now???? Anyone agree?

If the knocking is that bad surely a MOT test station should pick it up for you!

even the slightest knock on mine and I usually find it!

here is what caused my problem knock, you could not see this until you took it off!
now my car is as solid as a rock under there!
2cc17e6a.jpg

Ive been told mine is more than likely excess play in the brake calipers, as the noise only started after the discs and pads were changed. Plus the noise is random i.e not in sync with bumps on the road.

Ive been told mine is more than likely excess play in the brake calipers, as the noise only started after the discs and pads were changed. Plus the noise is random i.e not in sync with bumps on the road.

could be a slid bolt, try swapping them around to see if that makes a diff mate,

Sorted was slide pins nice one

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

What are side pins?

Brake caliper slide pins that the caliper floats on, they get gummed up and eventually corrode. Pull them out, clean them up and pop them back in covered in high-temp brake part grease.