Audi S3 8P reliability.

Maki65

Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first post so go easy! We have a VW Golf V6 4Motion that is now causing more issues than it is worth and consequently we are looking at the S3 as a replacement. We had considered a Golf R32, however, the road tax issue has put me off, especially as an S3 seems to offer more all round.

The Golf we have has been a disappointment in the reliability stakes with a list longer than I can stomach. This in contrast to a Golf VR6 MK3 we had for nine years that was fantastic. So, please tell me how reliable is the S3 and what should I be looking for in a prospective purchase?

Many thanks in advance.

Hello,

This is my first post so go easy! We have a VW Golf V6 4Motion that is now causing more issues than it is worth and consequently we are looking at the S3 as a replacement. We had considered a Golf R32, however, the road tax issue has put me off, especially as an S3 seems to offer more all round.

The Golf we have has been a disappointment in the reliability stakes with a list longer than I can stomach. This in contrast to a Golf VR6 MK3 we had for nine years that was fantastic. So, please tell me how reliable is the S3 and what should I be looking for in a prospective purchase?

Many thanks in advance.

Hi, welcome to ASN. Have a read at the top threads in this section, sure one of the guys be along shortly to help you out with info. Enjoy the forum.

If running the car standard then can't say I have heard any horror stories, the car by all accounts is very reliable. Fuel consumption can be higher than expected but far better than that of an R32. 25 mpg around town but up to mid 30 on a long steady run.

Build quality on all of mine (3 to date) has been spot on.

Don't think you will be disappointed from an onwership experience and the car will feel quick in comparison to your current car and also the R32.

Good luck and welcome.

alright Maki

generally they are ok, but with anything its down to how they have been looked after, also depends what you want to do with it, leave it standard in which case, looking round this site could be a bad idea as we will bankrupt you, we are good at helping you spend your money here, or if your are deffo going to modify it.

as a standard car, be aware they do like to go through spark plugs, so although Audi quote 60k miles per set, expect to change them every 12 months! also coil-packs are also a known weak point. now if you end up like 99% of the S3 owners on here are going to map it, allow for an upgraded clutch as the standard one can just about cope with the standard power (on manual versions) or if your going DSG then you won't have any problems as the DSG box is very strong!

thats about the only common weak points on the car, you will occasionally find a few other little things that crop up, but otherwise you should be ok, hope that helps

Thanks for the replies. I would keep it standard believe it or not. I suppose after our current Golf anything may seem reliable. I have given that car everything it has needed and still suffered at it's hands. I also have a triumph TR7 V8 that I have had for twenty five years and that is far less problematic, and sounds better by far!

I think I'm in the minority as I have yet to have to replace any spark plugs, current car was bought by me brand new, ran at stage 2 + for 8,000 miles (9 months) then back to standard and sold back into Audi approved used. The new owner ran it standard for 15 months and 4000 miles in which time it has had 2 services - total mileage now 13,500 - car back at stage 1 with no new plugs to my knowledge with all running extremely well.

In its 13500 miles it has had a new set of tyres all round but thats it in its 2 year life.

Apart from some very slight creasing on the drivers recaro bucket side squab and very light swirling on the paintwork in places it really does feel factory fresh.

Some good value cars about at the moment too :)

fair play in keeping it standard, good luck in sticking to that though, may have said and pretty much all have failed (me included) if you do get an S3 you will love it!

Out of interest, how low is the sump on these cars? On our Golf it is quite low and I had to put a sump guard on after a cracked sump incident.

you should be alright, I've had mine dropped in h&r springs (20-25mm can't remember) and i can go over split speed bumps and not catch anything

That's it for tonight chaps, thanks for the help; I will be back.

Had a few issues with mine over a 3 yr period and resolved under warranty, fortunately the dealer was pretty helpful:

-Knackered clutch after 10K miles on REVO Stage 1
-Failed power relay resulting in car cutting out. £11 part but took AUDI a few days to diagnose (thankfully under warranty)
-Driver door dropped and needed adjusted and replacement seal
-Glove box kept sticking, replaced
-Faulty window module, replaced

22K mpg but the car spent a lot of time in town and stuck in rush hour traffic.
Front tyres every 10K or so.
Ran mine on lowered H&R springs and no grounding issues on speed bumps.
I did 30Kmiles in 3 yr, most at REVO Stage 1 and never changed the plugs once (car was a 57plate)

A great car and one I owned longer than any other of the 25 or so other cars Ive had.
In fact my new S3 comes in 2 weeks, so I guess I must like them.

Good luck

Paul

how on earth did you get the clutch replaced under warranty when you are running stage 1, take it you just kept that fact hidden in order to get a new one ye?