HELP boot not closing, can't lock my car!

campbell

Reaction score
I have an Audi S3 2002 with an electric boot. The boot is showing open, tried WD40. Any pointers much appreciated, or do I need a new part from Audi?

Cheers

i have same problem with mines would not close and keep trying to open itself. I held the boot closed and used the key to lock it manually till i have time to look at it might be worth a try ( this will override the central locking when opening and closing the car)

think it is a sensor in the handle from looking on here

Have you adjusted the rubber bump stops on the side of the boot to allow it to close fully, so the car knows it's shut properly

I have adjusted the rubber stops and still it won't shut electronically, might try the manual method later. The lock mechanism seams free but it seams it's electronic, any ideas where to look if its that?

Is the solenoid releasing?

Is the boot closing but the dash is saying its still open, or is it not closing and staying in the "half latched" stage?

You need a new boot lock. Mine done the same thing a couple months back and i got a new one from Audi around the £30 mark. My boot interior lights never worked or boot open display never showed on the DIS. Ever since i got the new one it's all working fine! :)

Hi, mine was unlocking by itself when I started engine & now & then on the move. I used WD 40 in electronic lock & seemed to cure for only a few weeks lol. Got fed up with it so just disconnected the electronic (just pull off the plug to the box) part & now use the key in the lock instead.

Check your Central locking pump m8 it might get wet/damp and starts playing.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I have disconnected all wires for the boot so the display doesn't show it's open! I have tried manually locking the boot, the rod moves but the boot lock doesn't engage and move. I am right in thinking inside the boot lock something is broke because surely the lock should move?
It's been too late in the day and been raining all day for me to have a proper look typical!
Thanks again

Alright mate had the exactly the same problem Friday after the mot tester opened my boot and shut it and it was a latch in the locking mechanism so wouldn't latch on at all replaced it with a new one from audi which set me back £30 but that was with 10% discount ;)
It only takes 20 mins to do and is pretty simple to change :)

Thanks for the replies, I have managed to remove the latch mechanism and the lock where you put the key in. The mechanism wasn't working in the latch but after a through degreasing, repair, and lubricating it's now free as a bird. All put back together, the latch is closing and the boots locks but it's still showing the boots open on my dash! I have noticed the plug which goes into the latch, two pin, and once I disconnect that the open boot light goes off so I take there is a sensor in the latch itself? Does this still mean I need a new latch mechanism?

I was chuffed I repaired the mechanical side of things but it's electronic !

Hi, mine was unlocking by itself when I started engine & now & then on the move. I used WD 40 in electronic lock & seemed to cure for only a few weeks lol. Got fed up with it so just disconnected the electronic (just pull off the plug to the box) part & now use the key in the lock instead.

Did you ever get this fixed or are you just sticking to using the key manually ?

Just had the same problem this morning, if i shut the boot with the ignition on the boot will stay locked, as soon as I start the car though the boot will unlock itself and flash on the dash. I've locked it for time being manually but want to get this sorted, hate having little things like this wrong with the car.

Are everybodies symtoms the same as i dont want to get a new boot lock for £30 if its more of an electrical problem.

mine was opening randomly a while ago and that was caused by the terminals on the switches to open the boot getting corroded and the connector onto the latch getting corroded, i cleaned up the pins on teh switches and replaced the boot latch and now everything is working perfectly.

all this was caused by a leaking rear washer