How good a car is the S3?

vavavag

Reaction score
I just got mine 3 days ago and have to say I love it. Its soo tight and well built. The leather recaros are amazing and the car handles really well!

It is quite fast when I'm driving it with no1 else in it.

What cars does it compare to?

Also, thinking of getti8ng anotehr set of wheels, its on standard s3 wheels atm whicha re nice. Car is dolphin grey btw!

Hi, show us some pics then... Is it standard?

In all honesty i would say the 8L S3 is a good all rounder,
It does what most would ask of a car very well,
But remember in standard trim its not realy upto the task of taking on a modern true hot hatch,
Ive had mine over 5 years and spent more than what i paid for it again , So i must love mine ...

Just for the record... if Jardo posts his FWD propaganda on this thread I'll delete it... :thumbsup:

...unless of course its actually constructive...

<tuffty/>

Ok then guys, how can I put it to you in a constructive light?

Surely an A3 is the closest comparison to an S3?

LOL propaganda...It's fact!!! :p

Just for the record... if Jardo posts his FWD propaganda on this thread I'll delete it... :thumbsup:

...unless of course its actually constructive...

<tuffty/>

Lol when I seen this thread I actually thought "wonder what jardo posted?!" lol.

the car is very good in my opinion. Before I bought my car I looked at Leon cupra's but the s3 came to a bargain! Yes there will be faster cars out there but it's a great cruising car! Packs a punch for an 11 year old car! Take care of it and keep it clean :thumbsup:

Ok then guys, how can I put it to you in a constructive light?

Surely an A3 is the closest comparison to an S3?

LOL propaganda...It's fact!!! :p

It isn't always about whats fastest, lightest... nimble etc...

The S3 has always been a good all rounder with a high level of interior comfort coupled with AWD etc etc..

Ok, the Haldex system isn't the most refined AWD in the world (pre-empting the 'proper quattro' comments... you know who you are!!) but it works and is easier on tyres than torsion...

If you want a chuck about car then the LCR is a better car than the S3 but the S3 will always be a good all round car that has a chassis that can handle quite a bit of power if thats the direction you want to go...

<tuffty/>

...and the closest comparison to the S3 is arguably the LCR :)

<tuffty/>

Yeah I agree.

S3's are nice cars, with lush interiors (if pre facelift IMO), strong engines and are generally a very nice place to be. I just wish that people with any less than 200bhp/ton would stop assuming their cars are the fastest thing jn the world.

:)

Reactions: andrecc
A car is as good as you make it.

Expect to replace a lot from what i can see they are more problematic than the 1.8T

Marcus

As mentioned, S3 = cracking allrounder, and miles better than an A3, especially pre-facelift (just for you Jardo)....

A car is as good as you make it.

Expect to replace a lot from what i can see they are more problematic than the 1.8T

Marcus

They suffer from all the same issues that any 20v engined VAG does across their range... Skodas, Seats, VW's and Audi's... all suffer from the same basic issues... the main difference I have seen is how well looked after they have been over their life and the level of abuse they have got...

The S3 will suffer specific issues that A3's don't generally such as haldex problems but for the most part the problems are the same across the board...

<tuffty/>

Yeah I agree.

I just wish that people with any less than 200bhp/ton would stop assuming their cars are the fastest thing jn the world.

:)

been there, done that and I can honestly say I am enjoying my S3 far more than I enoyed any of the fast stuff I have had ! the S3 is a far more useable car and as many have said, its a fantastic all rounder which for me means its a good compromise in coming from my Evo 9 until I buy a B5 RS4 in a couple of years time. Even when I do get the RS4 we are planning to keep the S3 and sell the other half's beetle as she loves driving the S3

i dissagree. it holds up pretty dam well! which is what i love about it, and also what i hate about new hot hatches.
they haven't progressed, and the 8l s3 still gains respect

very true!

i dissagree. it holds up pretty dam well! which is what i love about it, and also what i hate about new hot hatches.
they haven't progressed, and the 8l s3 still gains respect

Realy?
Ive got to admit in standard trim i was VERY let down on my test drives of standard S3's too heavy for the 1.8 to pull around, It felt lazy, almost numb.
I did buy one because i liked everything else about the cars... AND my spanner man worked at a good VAG tuners and promissed they made good power and alot better car with choice mod's
In standard trim...
Civic type R's will eat you for breakfast
Focus ST will almost definatly have the same outcome
Focus RS? dont even bother

Yes the S3 still gets alot of respect... by all apart from the real race type petrol heads
Why are people saying Pre facelift is better than Post?

Ah ok,
I was starting to wonder,
It might sound like im not a massive lover of the S3...
Its more the fact people who havent been in one think they are going to be RS4 quick... they arent.
Big steps forward can be made without pushing your luck or the bank balance...
Remap... good TIP...
Exhaust if funds allow.
This in my eyes makes what the S3 SHOULD have been from Audi.
When you look at the MPG of say my car Hybrid Stage 3... put against say a scooby STI... you will be suprised, on the same money tank for tank i manage around 80 to 100 miles more.
As i said at the start... a good all round car and a very nice place to be.

It's only Jardo that says that, and he's wrong. but don't even bother with that argument....

It's true, facelift interiors are badly made, generally cheap, girly and for fags.

I agree with Paul.

It's true, facelift interiors are badly made, generally cheap, girly and for fags.

I agree with Paul.

You should buy one then ,
The interia is one area ive spent nothing on repairing on my facelift S3 in more than 5 years of use. 12000 miles a year with 3 kids too

You should buy one then ,
The interia is one area ive spent nothing on repairing on my facelift S3 in more than 5 years of use. 12000 miles a year with 3 kids too

Oooooh meow! :asskicking:

I've NEVER been in a facelift 8L which didn't have SOMETHING broken, plastics being scratched off or something missing in it's interior. That isn't an over exaggeration, because I make a point of checking every facelift interior I've ever sat in.

Not been in mine then .
I didnt like the gear nob or steering wheel of the pre...
Just looked older, Just my opinion.
I wouldnt want a Pre face lift for that reason and the split headlights and rear lights.
Just not for me

Not been in mine then .
I didnt like the gear nob or steering wheel of the pre...
Just looked older, Just my opinion.
I wouldnt want a Pre face lift for that reason and the split headlights and rear lights.
Just not for me

See that's what I like :)

The interior of the pre facelift IMO is more chunky, manly and masculine. I know that sounds very gay but to me it just looks more solid. I don't like the sprayed plastics, plastic chrome trim and soft touch buttons in the facelift.

We all want different things... different tastes...
I bet there are only about 12 reasons that people went for an S3 though.
When i bought mine value for money was not in its favour £11500 !
I had a supercharged VR6 golf that was stunning. But the power/ torque was a ****** in the wet, Somebody pulling out on me +dirty road + lift off over steer ended that ... and very nearly my ability to walk,
I wanted a newer car... always had VAG cars so that bit was decided... AWD if possible and a nice place to be , with tuning potential.
That added up to a Face lift S3.

AUDI A3/S3 or any Audi in my books about the best motor about today, build quality is second to none, i keep mine for 3 years and i have never suffered a squeak or rattle in this time (apart from a bump stop left in a new un at PDI) you could never go back to a Ford, Vauxhall unless you really had to.

Lol loving Jardo being put straight before hes even posted.

The thing I like about S3's (hence buying one) is that they are quite exclusive.... Not you dont have to be any body special to buy one. But for the age of the car they do stand out, and you dont see too many about. They have a really nice stance with the flared arches and styling. Alot of the same applys to the A3, you see 10 golfs to every A3, but the S3 does look that little bit better... Had a fair few people saying they remembered when the s3 came out and always wanted one, and often complimented on it, and mine is below average on this site IMO.

The car out the factory is intended for comfort and not for tracking, so as standard they are soft i think. But this is easily sorted.

And how anybody could say that prefacelift interior is better looking than facelift (you know who you are :p) is just mental... and I also cant see how quality is any worse.

Facelift interior just looks better IMO but of course everyone to thier own... I do agree to a point about the 'soft touch' buttons and thier ability to shed the coatings... have seen quite a few later cars than mine do this... I think I have been lucky with mine but the ESP button is showing signs.... not that it matters as I'll just buy a new one... its the most pressed button in the console... start car, turn off ESP... ;P

20100806_IMG_6886.jpg

<tuffty/>

Facelift interior just looks better IMO but of course everyone to thier own... I do agree to a point about the 'soft touch' buttons and thier ability to shed the coatings... have seen quite a few later cars than mine do this... I think I have been lucky with mine but the ESP button is showing signs.... not that it matters as I'll just buy a new one... its the most pressed button in the console... start car, turn off ESP... ;P

20100806_IMG_6886.jpg

<tuffty/>

Nice interior tuffty.

Is that your boost gauge in the right centre console vent?

I take it you re-covered the original recaro leather too?

Wrong, i'd say an Audi TT 225 was in fact a closer comparison. ;)

Agree. Its the quattro 225 was the Same car but with 50kg of extra weight and worse driving position. Mechanics were identical.

hi all ive had lots of very fast jap cars 400bhp newage impreza sti (proven) 300bhp 1000kg track impreza wrx/ra 320bhp legacy twin turbo and so on but ive also had lots of vw and the only reason ive sold them was for performance . my last car was a big power evo2 that was sooo fast but that was all it was not nice to drive to far and drunk like a **** head but s~~t it was quick and **** happy . so im going to put a bit more power in the s3 and have it all . but i might try an rs6 next year .

If you have ever been up against one with a good driver at the wheel . Not somebody who bought it because the ST badge would make it fast.
The outcome would be as I said.
When mine was stock. I had a number of races with the above and the next day I was busy checking for boost leaks and the like.
As for the type r. I have never known many races done on the m1. These aren't random cars I picked out . They are cars I've seen the results of first hand.

Nice interior tuffty.

Is that your boost gauge in the right centre console vent?

I take it you re-covered the original recaro leather too?

Liquid Gauge is in the vent and boost gauge is on the piller...
20100213_IMG_4005.jpg

Silver alcantara was an option over the full leather seats :)

<tuffty/>

Wrong, i'd say an Audi TT 225 was in fact a closer comparison. ;)

Haha, if by closer in comparison you mean you'd look like a massive bender in the TT then fair enough :beerchug:

I tell you what I drove the other day, which IMO was one of the better handling cars I've driven for a while. A 3 MPS with a stage two BBR map. 328BHP, FWD with a PROPER LSD as standard. But it still had leather in it, auto lights and wipers, built in sat nav, full bose sound system, integrated sat nav...Everything! We only gave 12K for it in PX too. Obviously I've driven standard MPS's daily for the last couple of months, but with this BBR stage 2 kit it was pretty epic. Certainly better than a Focus RS as a complete package. I'll never forget the disappointment I felt the first time I drove an RS :( The Megane Trophy is a much better drivers car!

Which reminds me about these...

renaultmeganer26r.jpg

I'd be interested to see who would have one of these over their S3 as a daily driver and who wouldn't, like this post as appropriate?

Last edited:
I must admit I have always quite liked the Mazda 3 MPS, my dad has a 3 Sport and even that is a nice car to drive so I can only imagine what the MPS is like !

As for the frenchy..... nice looking car but theres no way in hell I would have that over my S3 lol.

If you have ever been up against one with a good driver at the wheel . Not somebody who bought it because the ST badge would make it fast.

This could be said about any car really. If you stuck a professional driver in any similar powered car they would trounce any average driver.

I'd be interested to see who would have one of these over their S3 as a daily driver and who wouldn't.

Cant even consider this car as a daily driver due to the fact its stripped and caged as standard. I've done a year of daily driving in a Lotus Elise and that was enough to put me off anything that doesn't have proper seats and doors for a daily.