Alloy wheels

colhay

Reaction score
I finally got round to getting an S3, an 03 red one

very nice car but the standard alloys have to go, I think they look crap

Now the dilemma: 18s or 19s

is the ride too harsh with 19s? and
does anyone have pics of motors with 19s on? I dont want wheels that look too big for the car

I did do a search on the forum but it came back with 1000s of posts

Cheers

When I bought my S3 it came with a set of 19" RS4 replica alloys. I kept them on for just over 12 months and although the ride was acceptable it was a bit crashy and the steering heavy. IMO the car looked too bling for my liking as well so once the tyres were worn down I opted to put a set of 18" alloys on instead. I can honestly say the ride has improved tremendously, I don't feel the pot holes as much and it turns in much better now.

It really depends what you want from the wheels. 19"s definately make the car stand out more and it will still drive OK with them on. But if you want the best drive it has to be 18"s. Also bear in mind that some alloys are cast quite cheaply and 19"s are prone to buckling due to the lack of rubber protecting them (mine were buckled quite badly when they came off).

Good luck with whatever choice you make. I really like the S3's in red so welcome to the club!

I have an Absolute Red S3, and opted for 18's. Firstly I decided apon RS4 replica's which did look big in comparison to the car, bur then I changed to RS6 replica's and they do look smaller. However the roads up here in Scotland don't like big wheels, they tend to bite. So I wouldn't go for 19's personally.
sideonedit.jpg

Picture borrowed - Not ideal but gives you some idea

my car is the one next to stepho's with the OZ superleggera in 18's. A definite improvment over the standards wheels for me in terms of feedback and handling.
I think 19's would be too much on the roads near me and probably get bent very quickly. And the handling and confort would be comprimised too much for MY liking. Remember with 19's you are gonna be geting 235/35/19 so tramlining becomes and issue and as i said i can't imagine the ride would be too forgiving either.
All that said - there are plenty of people out there with 19's who seem to be extremely happy but maybe they drive on the superior roads down south! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Not sure what Elgin's roads are like!

Either way post pics once you decide /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cheers boys

The roads this far north in Scotland are cack so I think Ill plump for 18s

some nice 5 spoke design I think

anybody bought from any of these ebay sellers or got good suggestions of places to get wheels from?

Col, its a shame to hear that the roads in the finest of Malt Whisky country are cack. Moray council must be like all the rest when it comes to road maintenance. Damn fine scenery though.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif